Default How to Renew a Lease when Ex-Roommate Won't Sign New Lease or Release Form

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

Hello all!

I am feeling very confused and thought this may be a good place to look for some answers.
    About 6 months ago, we had a roommate break lease and stop paying her share of rent and utilities. She then fled and ran off to Nevada with her new boyfriend and refuses to communicate with us or be helpful in any way.
    Because she never signed a Roommate Release Form at the end of her stay, she is legally still on the lease.

Our current lease will end in a month and a half in August, and all of us in the apartment would like her removed from the lease in some way. We have reached out to her as well as the leasing office and she shows no interest in coming down to legally release herself from our lease. We need to renew our lease, and the rental manager at our office says without her release, we will have to go to a month to month plan which none of us can afford. Our manager is refusing to provide us with any other option but to go to month to month leasing. Surely there must be some other solution to this?

We also really need to have this girl removed from the lease because she stole a TV from another friends apartment and she still has a working key to our apartment. We want to change the locks so that she cannot enter our apartment but since she's still on the lease, legally we can't lock her out of her own apartment (please correct me on this if im wrong!).
    I cannot tell if the manager is just being difficult or what it is, but I really need a lease without the old roommate on it for the coming year, and I cannot afford month to month.

Please help! Thank you!

Default Re: How to Renew a Lease when Ex-Roommate Won't Sign New Lease or Release Form

Yes, your manager is being difficult. Once the current lease ends he is free to enter into a new lease with the current residents if he so chooses. For some reason he apparently chooses not to. Why is something only he can answer.

Default Re: How to Renew a Lease when Ex-Roommate Won't Sign New Lease or Release Form

Thank you for your help!

We have been very good tenants... Owe no charges, always pay rent on time... We have never done any damage to the apartment. So, I don't think that the leasing office is looking for a reason to get rid of us at least!
    However, I do know that this is the first time our current leasing office manager has been a manager (ever)! So, I have a feeling this is the first time she has had to deal with this type of issue. In some senses I can understand why this is an issue for her and maybe she wants to be very by the book, but I don't think she is interested in helping us find a solution which is becoming a problem quickly.

Thank you for your time!

1. Sponsored Links