Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Public College Restrictions on the Exercise of Free Speech

You keep trying to put words in my mouth.

Quote Quoting jdbofky
    View Post
    First you say I must be a liberal because you disagree with something I said
    I asked if you thought of yourself as a liberal. Where did I say you must be a liberal? And I said that there is plenty of room for discourse in our society. So where did I disagree with you?

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I take it then that you consider yourself a liberal? There is plenty of room for discourse in our society. You can try to bring someone over to your side of an issue by explaining your views using facts instead of an emotional diatribe.

Mark Levin is a constitutional lawyer where as Al Sharpton is nothing more than a Race-baiter.
    Your opinions and BOTH are entitled to be heard.

I agree. It's just how they (we) go about saying it. Just look at San Jose protesters yesterday. Do you think that is justifiable discourse?

As I said before, it is largely a social issue. Whether consciously or subconsciously, people have adopted the Machiavellian / Alinsky tactic of depersonalizing "the enemy". They are not "people", but rather they are "liberals". It is even done in other contexts where power is to be wielded. Example: They aren't "employees", they are "human resources". When we depersonalize we can then exploit or destroy. And it has become pervasive. Listen to the talking heads of either political persuasion and you'll hear it. It is hard to do that if you have a desire to "love thy neighbor". Your neighbor is a person, at least up until you label him to depersonalize him. In Germany they were neighbors until the Star of David or the "Juden" badge was put on their clothing. Then they were depersonalized. It really is that dangerous.

In the California protests, once a person was labeled a "Trumpist" then it was okay to physically abuse them. After all,"Trumpists" are really "people" in the truest sense, right?

In short, on a UC campus, speech that is not overtly liberal or "P.C." it is more likely to be branded as inappropriate. And, yes, I have seen this first hand, and it is truly mind-boggling.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3