Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Prima Facie Speeding Ticket, CVC 23350

Quote Quoting weedkill3
    View Post
    Cdwjava, I had two date choices Nov 12th and Nov 21st, I chose the 21st because of thanksgiving week. I know they get paid over time, but I was honestly shocked the amount of officers that didn't show up. Maybe its because since this week - Thanksgiving is coming up, maybe officer knew they would be getting over time being out there on the streets...why spend time at the court house.
    Unless all these officers managed to get the entire week off, it's unlikely that vacations are the reason they were not there. In 265 years I have missed far more Holidays than I have attended. It's the nature of the beast. More likely, the agency has many officers that live far outside the jurisdiction and thus discouraged from driving all the way in for a mandatory minimum overtime (usually 3 or 4 hours at time and a half, depending on the agency's MOU). And if the court doesn't raise a stink, and the agency doesn't concern itself with no-shows, you get this sort of thing. Sad, really, because in most agencies nowadays and officer failing to show for a traffic subpoena can result in discipline.

We should also remember that speeding tickers, illegal u turns, etc are nit picky and for revenue generation not safety most of the time.
    There are a number of reasons why they are issued, but revenue generation is NOT among them. Keep in mind that the traffic ticket that might cost you $283 is only going to earn the agency about $7. After costs for the officer's time to write the cite, gas, etc., the agency may make a cool $2.50-$3. Not worth it. With the exception of red light camera cites, traffic tickets are money losing endeavor. If it were about money, then they'd be issuing parking cites. A parking cite that might cost you $53 would earn a city about $39 or so ... depending on the county and city, of course. Parking cites generate revenue, moving cites do not.

If the officer(s) truly believed I was in the wrong he could come to court and face me. I was there, I took a day off, I prepared, the officer is the expert, the odds are in his favor. Its not like I asked for the country seat, the officer is already based in the city he patrols.
    The officer SHOULD have been there. But, when you have agencies that do not care if officers attend, then self-interest reigns and officers choose not to make an hour-and-a-half drive in to court, sit for 2 hours, and then go home getting paid only the court minimum because their commute time is not included in the calculation. Many officers in larger jurisdictions cannot afford to live in those jurisdictions so they have to drive in from further off. This has a tendency to discourage traffic court attendance unless the agency holds their feet to the fire. I think Los Angeles County - and maybe Ventura - are the two counties where I have heard tales of lackadaisical policies in this area.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    In 265 years I have missed far more Holidays than I have attended.

Damn. You're older than I ever imagined!

Quote Quoting weedkill3
    View Post
    We should also remember that speeding tickers, illegal u turns, etc are nit picky and for revenue generation not safety most of the time.

It's the law, that's why it's enforced.

You're another guy that blames everyone but himself.

Quote Quoting Highwayman
    View Post
    Damn. You're older than I ever imagined!
    Oops! Pre-coffee laptop error!

25 years.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Highway man, I won and they lost. The road was clear, traffic light and weather beautiful. Everybody drives too damn slow!

I bought a very good radar detector after the ticket and this thing has been a life saver. Everyone invest in one!

Quote Quoting weedkill3
    View Post
    Highway man, I won and they lost. The road was clear, traffic light and weather beautiful. Everybody drives too damn slow!

I bought a very good radar detector after the ticket and this thing has been a life saver. Everyone invest in one!
    To be honest, they didn't exactly "lose" - they didn't even make a contest of it. Had the officer been there, well, things may well have gone differently for you. Hopefully you've learned to slow down all the same.

Oh, and radar detectors offer a false sense of security and just as often flash false warnings as they might real warnings, so I wouldn't hold a great deal of stock in them. But, if the alerts get you to slow down to a safe speed, great!

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

CDWjava,

the cheap ones under $60 have a crap load OF FALSE WARNINGS and give you no range to slow down. Any detector over $100 from amazon is great at learning and rooting out false detections. Plus many have crowd source info like Waze (but better) built in. Most importantly they tell what direction the officer is and great range to slow down.

Yes, they didn't lose and I actually didn't win, but hell, it sure feels like I did.

The courts count on people to roll over and pay, they need to stop being afraid and make use of the due process thats afforded to them.

Of course, there are lidar and pacing, not to mention visual estimation, all of which do not use radar. But, if it helps you slow down, go for it.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4