Default Title Transfer with Someone Else's Name on the Back of the Title

Hi, I am in located in California and am looking to purchase a vehicle off someone who has started the registration process but had not completed it due to the lack of a smog check. The person is able to drive the car legally somehow, I believe the DMV did not finalize the registration or title transfer due to the lack of a smog check. He does not have the bill of sale between him and the last owner, however, the title is signed off and his information written on the back of the title. Will I be able to transfer the title to my name if I purchase the car with his name on the back of the title and without a bill of sale between him and the previous owner, or will a bill of sale between him and I be sufficient? Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Title Transfer with Someone Else's Name on the Back of the Title

I am skeptical that the person is driving the vehicle legally.

If you want to purchase this vehicle in order to drive it, have the seller complete the title transfer (including repairs so it passes a smog test) and then convey title to you.

With smog issues, the DMV usually provides a 30 or 60 day operating permit. I was planning on doing the work and then smogging the vehicle myself, but I wanted to make sure that the DMV will honor the title (with the non registered seller's information on the back of the title) and a bill of sale between the buyer and I. In this situation, would I be required to provide any extra documentation or papers to fill out? Thanks!

EDIT: the seller says he was able to register it to drive, but was not able to do a title transfer due to the lack of a smog check.

DO NOT DO THIS.

You will open yourself up a very expensive can of worms and you'll be back here soon saying things like:

I trusted.

What are my rights

He won't return my calls.

What do I do.

Bad title, no smog.

WALK AWAY. NO, DON'T WALK AWAY. RUN AWAY.

Jack nailed this one. Run.like.hell.

I have to give the OP credit for asking about this before making the deal.

I only hope he is smart enough to take the advice.

Yeah, I've purchased non-smogged cars from people without their names on the title before, then smogged and registered the cars myself without a problem since the back of the title was blank. In this situation I was skeptical due to the information being filled out on the back of the title, which I recall would require a duplicate title form requiring the original owner's signature if any title transfer were to be attempted. That's the only part that I found to be a potential issue. Thanks for the input, I look forward to reading more about everyone's opinions.

I look forward to reading more about everyone's opinions.
    My guess is that you are going to do it in spite of our opinions.

Good luck.

I'm actually going to wait for another deal to come up, but I was just sharing my past experience and it seems to be a gray area in the world of buying and selling cars.

1. Sponsored Links