Default Voluntarily Termination of SSI

How to apply to early terminate my SSI?

Default Re: Voluntarily Termination of SSI

Put it in writing. Pick a date in the future, like June 1, 2016. At least give some kind of reason. Submit it to the local office. Probably too late for the office to stop the 6/1/16 check so you will owe it back. 60 days later, the appeal period is over so if you change your mind in August, you have to start from square one and file a new claim.

Why do you want to terminate SSI? You may have some misunderstanding about the program or maybe you haven't been eligible for a long time and are worried about getting caught.

I have a lot of misunderstanding about the program. To difficult to understand. I'm still eligible...but have family member that is now willing to help.

If you voluntarily terminate then you will no longer be eligible. You can cancel voluntary termination within 60 days of requesting it and be reinstated. After the 60 days is up, then you have to go through the entire claims process again.

Why don't you just report the 'help' that you are getting from the relative? "Beginning in 6/15, my grandmother (name and address) will be sending me a check for $1000 each month to use for my living expenses". Then SSI can post the $1000 as income and suspend the ongoing SSI benefits BUT under this scenario, you would have to be ineligible for 12 months before a new claim would be required for reinstatement. And if you wanted reinstatement, you would need to supply the proof that the income has stopped and the effective date (keep copies of the checks). These family members that are willing to help may change their minds at some point. Voluntary termination is drastic compared to excess income suspension.

We can also try to answer questions you have about SSI. Basically, SSI needs to determine your living arrangements to know what benefit rate applies, needs to know about all (yes every single source) of income/money coming to you each month, and to show that the value of your countable resources (one car exempt, household goods, some life insurance, a home that is lived in) is under $2000. If you are married and living with a spouse, then their money also matters.

I'm autistic 21 live at home.not married..no money of any kind coming in. ..go to school part time..so there's nothing to report to report. I dont want to have to try and keep up with it all. Too overwhelming for me. Not good at details. I just can keep up with the complicated rules and regulations. Very frustrated.

Another solution would be to ask one of your family members to be your bookkeeper, of sorts. Someone who is willing to assist you with the reporting instructions and reading the notices and making sure you do what you are supposed to do. It doesn't have to be very difficult in the situation you are in. But that can change. If you choose to voluntary terminate, then you will have to support yourself another way. Family members love you but they do eventually get tired of supporting you.

Thank you for your help. I will think about it. You have made me feel better about things. I'm sure you are right.

1. Sponsored Links