Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Do You Get Social Security Work Credit for Military Active Duty

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/military.html

According to the above SSA link, from 1957-2001 a person was credited an additional $300 per quarter while on active duty with the US military. I served in the USMC from Feb. 1968 until Feb. 1972. When I printed off my lifetime SS earnings from the SSA website, it showed $1557 total yearly income for me in 1968. Which was about right as a Marine private didn't make much. However, if I'd have been credited the additional $1200 (4 yearly quarters X $300) that would have given me a yearly income of $357 and I'm sure I made more than that. Has anyone who had active duty looked into this. All I could get out of the agent at the local soc. sec. office is that I was given credit for my military time and it was in their computer. Not that I don't trust them, but I'd like to see something in black and white. This would not be a lot of money. Only an additional $4800 on my lifetime earnings, but if I have this coming I want proof that I'm getting it. Thanks to anyone for any time and help.

Default Re: Credit for Military Active Duty

I never knew about that and I think I've been short changed, too.

Believe it or not I still have copies of my W-2s from the US Army July 1966-July 1968.

From July 13 1966 to Dec 31 1966 I made 523.20. That's an average of 95.12 per month. I think I was an E-2 for the last month or two of the year, so that seems about right. I earned 1471 at my job before being drafted and my SS statement shows 2001 for that year so it seems I didn't get the extra 300 per quarter.

For the full year 1967 I made 1719, an average of 143.30. Also seems about right as I had rapid promotions to E-3 and E-4 that year. The SS statement shows only the 1719.

For the 6 and a half months of 1968 I made 1334.54, an average of 205.31. I made E-5 early in 1968 and recall making 211.50 as an E-5 so that average seems about right. After ETS I worked a couple of jobs and made about 1689 for the rest of the year for a total of 3023. The SS statement shows 3016.

There is nothing on my SS statement that reflects the $300 per quarter credit so I'm definitely going to the SS office soon and see what happened.

Jack, I'd appreciate it if you'd report here what they tell you about this. Thanks.

Quote Quoting 56pan
    View Post
    Jack, I'd appreciate it if you'd report here what they tell you about this. Thanks.
    I intend to. I'm hoping to get over to SSA in the morning.

This is a great thread.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post

There is nothing on my SS statement that reflects the $300 per quarter credit so I'm definitely going to the SS office soon and see what happened.
    Mine doesen't show anything either and I served in the 90's so I don't think the period of service matters as far as the SS statement. Going to have to dig up those W-2s now.

I hope you all haven't been cheated.

And on behalf of my family (and specially my little girl - not so little, really - who did her tour of Afghanistan and has never been the same) thank you all for your service.

I just got back from the SSA office where I verified that I did get the credits.

The agent wouldn't give me a copy of the printout but she did show it to me and I saw a separate column next to my earnings column. The column was labeled DMW and showed the amounts 600, 1200, and 900 respectively for 1966, 1967, and 1968.

Apparently even a partial quarter gets you the $300 as it looks like I got credit for a 9th quarter even though I spent only 12 days of that last quarter before my discharge.

Those credits amounted to an extra $12 per month in my SS check.

Since it's a separate column excluded from the earnings record and the W-2s match the earnings record, it would appear there is really no way of checking that these credits are being applied except by actually checking with a SS office. Bummer for transparency. $144 a year isn't insignificant however. Seems worth checking.

Maybe if enough people go in and check, the SSA will figure out that it's more efficient to make it available on the website when you go in and look at your earnings record.

(Notice the wink. I'm not seriously imagining that would ever happen.)

Click on Publications "Military Benefits and Social Security" PDF link on OP's link and see page 2.

NOTE: In all cases, the additional
    earnings are credited to the earnings that
    we average over your working lifetime, not
    directly to your monthly benefit amount.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast