Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Pulling a Knife on a Police Officer

My friend is an adult in my state, and two days ago pulled a knife on a cop in defense of a friend. Plus there was a struggle before he was handcuffed. How much time can he get if he pleas guilty? When will I be able to see him? Can I send letters even if I'm not on the visitation list yet?
    (background information-He has never committed a felony.)
    I really would like to see him soon. Within the next week or so. I'll even wait at the jail or prison until they let me see him.

Thanks.

Default Re: How Much Time Will My Friend Get in Jail/Prison

Well, he could get anything from probation to life without parole. Without knowing what state this is in and just what charge he is facing, we can't even guess that range the law allows for. He should not, let me repeat, HE SHOULD NOT plead guilty without legal counsel as to the implications of doing so. If he is facing felony charges he needs a lawyer. If he is indigent and can not afford one, he should has for a public defender.

Whether you can visit depends on a lot of things such as what prison he is in, how long he is scheduled to be there, how he conducts himself while inside, and what your relationship actually is, and what your situation is.

Quote Quoting sms98
    View Post
    My friend is an adult in my state, and two days ago pulled a knife on a cop in defense of a friend. Plus there was a struggle before he was handcuffed. How much time can he get if he pleas guilty? When will I be able to see him? Can I send letters even if I'm not on the visitation list yet?
    I really would like to see him soon. Within the next week or so. I'll even wait at the jail or prison until they let me see him.

Thanks.
    He pulled a knife on a cop? How would that be self defense? He also resisted arrest? Well no one knows because NO ONE KNOWS for what he was indicted/charged. try again. If he pleads guilty, he could get the maximum.

Without knowing the state and the exact charges, it could be anywhere from no time at all to the maximum allowed by law. Since he apparently got physical with law enforcement, the odds are greater that he will do some time.

Yes, you can send letters even if you aren't on the visitation list. Just keep in mind they are subject to review by correctional officers before being passed on to him.

Waiting at the jail like a petulant child will not help you see him. It takes time for the process to work.

Pulling a knife on an officer?!?! What was he thinking!!?? That can mean death for the guy with the knife! Your friend may be lucky to be alive!
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Pulling a Knife on a Police Officer

Quote Quoting sms98
    View Post

I'm guessing that this is your boyfriend that you are pining for.

I'd say it's high time you raised your standards and your self respect before you screw up your life with this low-life..

So ... you mention that he hasn't committed a felony.

What does the rest of his criminal history show? How many convictions does he have?

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Pulling a knife on an officer?!?! What was he thinking!!?? That can mean death for the guy with the knife! Your friend may be lucky to be alive!
    This. He's lucky to be alive.

He's going to get some time out of this.

Go ahead and wait at the jail until they let you see him. You'll end up leaving eventually or they'll arrest you for loitering.

Quote Quoting sms98
    View Post

Thanks.
    Um...okay? He will have to let you know if you are on the visitation list and yes depends on the rules of the jail or prison he ends up in. Yes you can write to anyone in jail or prison. People do it all the time. Why would you want to be friends with someone who pulls a knife on a cop?

He was my boyfriend at one time, but I do still deeply care for him. I fell in love with him and never fell out. But I'm even looking at this from a friend's P.O.V too.

He was charged with 3rd degree assault but that's it. And that was when he was a teen.

At this point in time I stopped caring. I don't care if I get arrested anymore. It'd be my first charge ever in my life.

NE.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast