Question Establishing Legal Guardianship for an International Student

My question involves a person located in the state of: California

How does an international student, who already has his I-20 certification and his F1 Visa, apply for guardianship by a relative who lives in California?

The student is currently 18 years old and is enrolled at a private university. He will be renting a room from us in California and we want him to have legal guardianship with his uncle who lives in California because we don't want to be responsible or have liability issues.

Default Re: Guardianship of International Students

Your post is a bit confusing. The student is age 18 and an adult. He is attending college and thus presumably not incompetent. So there is no need for anyone to be appointed as the student’s guardian. I have no idea what liability you think you would avoid by having the uncle as the student’s guardian.

If you are asking about the student petitioning to be the guardian of his uncle, then the first question is whether the uncle has already been declared incompetent by the courts. If not, that’s the first step to getting guardianship. The student would be well advised to consult a family law/elder law attorney for help with this. Again, I’m not sure what liability you think you might have in this situation, either.

1. Sponsored Links