Unhappy Careless Lane Change Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: AR

I don't know what to do!

My Ex-husband and I were hired right out of Trucking School as Team drivers for Schneider International. Two and half months into driving for Schneider my then husband got drunk while we were at home picked a fight with me and then left. I then had to drive solo. I was an emotional mess and told this to Schneider and that I was not in the condition to be driving. The response was "wipe your eyes take a deep breath you will be fine and continue with your load." So being a new driver and unaware that I could have told Schneider "No" i am not going to drive parked the truck and they could not have fired me. I continued to drive.

Crying and very emotional I went to change lanes and clipped the bumper of a Boat Hauler. No damage whatsoever, the driver stated "there is no damage I don't see why we can't continue on." The drivers boss however wanted a record of the incident and said to call the Highway Patrol. I was then issued a ticket for Careless Lane Change.

Again not understanding the ramifications of paying said ticket, I did what I was taught by my father and mailed in the payment for the ticket.

A month or so later I resigned from Schneider and moved back to California where I am from. Well I found myself not being able to get a job driving for anyone because of this Careless ticket. Insurance would not and so far will not cover me. I started investigating online why with 1 ticket, no damage etc. this is preventing me from getting covered.

Hindsight is 20/20 come to find out I should not have paid the ticket 1st of all and the word Careless or Reckless on a ticket is like being blackballed from the Truck driving industry.

I need to know if there is any way to fight this ticket after I have already paid it. Because I paid it I admitted guilt.

I didn't know that I should have gotten an attorney to represent me because this has now cost me my livelihood. Driving is my only source of income. I have lost my home, my belongings and I have no way to support myself.

Help Me Please

TruckerMama2

Default Re: Careless Lane Change Ticket

There's nothing you can do about it now. It's unclear that there was anything you could have done about it at the time short of getting a lawyer and contesting the facts of the citation. Pleading down to a lesser charge for CDL drivers is not supposed to be allowed. However, you've not said anything exculpatory. If you admitted to the cop what you've admitted here you hung yourself from the moment you opened your mouth.

You should have learned early on in your truck driving training that YOU are the one responsible for deciding when it is safe to drive NOT the company. You are responsible to not take the road when in a compromised mental or physical condition.

You are correct I know that now...I should have parked the truck and told Schneider I will not drive. I understand that now.

So because I paid the ticket there isn't any way for an attorney to fight to have the ticket dropped to a lesser charge?

I truly did not know the ramifications of paying the ticket and not having representation.

Kathleen

Again, the option largely went out the window as soon as you paid it. As time passes the options are even less likely.
    As I told you, the courts are NOT supposed to allow you to plead down with a CDL so even if you HAD gone to court on the ticket, that likely wasn't an option.

1. Sponsored Links