Wink How to Fight Speeding in School Zone Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Oklahoma / City: Edmond

Today on my way home from my workplace of 6 years, I was passing through a school zone which I do every day for the last 6 years... I am driving and the school zone sign was not flashing indicating that the school zone was not active. I am doing the speed limit of 40mph, just minding my own business and all of a sudden a cop is behind me with his lights on. He gives me a ticket for speeding in a school zone. He claimed I was doing 34mph in a 25mph school zone. I am 100% positive that the school zone sign was not lit up when I drove past it. Unfortunately, I do not have a camera recording my every day activities to fight this ticket with proof. I contacted the school administration and I am currently waiting for them to provide me a time in which the school zone lights became active for today. I am wondering if there are any tips you all can give me as far as fighting this ticket in court. I was traveling south on Kelly Avenue in between Danforth and 2nd Street. The police officer was traveling north on Kelly Avenue when he claimed to radar me and turned around to stop me. Can someone help me figure out a defense for this ticket in court? I have not received a ticket since I was a teenager and I'm 25 years old now. Would like to keep it that way

Default Re: How to Fight Speeding in School Zone Ticket

The sign I can find indicates that the zone is active when lights are flashing, so if it's your recollection that they were not it would make sense to investigate when the lights go on and off to compare to the time you received your ticket, and whether there was any maintenance required on the signal at the time you received your ticket or performed on the signal afterward.

Just spoke to the Edmond school district who are in charge of the lights and they told me the lights are set to come on at 3:15. I clocked out of work at 3:00. The school zone is a 1 minute drive away from my work in worst traffic conditions possible. Traffic was very light that day meaning I went through the school zone at the latest of 3:05. The time written on the ticket is 3:15. He didn't have me stopped until I had already passed through the school zone, and hit the next mile intersection. The stop process took nearly 10 minutes. The timing doesn't add up in my opinion. What do you think? If I were to get signed documentation from the Edmond school district and my clock sheets from work, in reference to the time on the ticket. I believe I have a decent defense to present.

Clocking out of work does not of itself mean that you didn't spend some time attending to personal affairs or socializing before you got into your car.

If the court accepts your documentation that the lights go on at 3:15, with the officer indicating that the offense occurred right at 3:15, there's a possibility of convincing the court that you passed the speed limit sign seconds before the lights started to flash.

Check to see if the officer was running a dash cam at the time of the traffic stop.

1. Sponsored Links