Default What Happens if a Juvenile Runs Away from Detention

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Oklahoma

I am currently in the Juvenile Drug court program, I will age out when I turn 18. I don't have any charges on me, nor have I had violent charges filed or anything of the sort. I was wondering that if my drug court judge or OJA worker called in a detention order, what would happen if I ran away or moved to a different guardians house until I turn 18, to avoid going back to detention? I will be of age in July which is in about two and a half months. Since I would be in a different county could police pick me up on escape charges? Could my parents get in trouble if they let me stay home from court?

Default Re: What Happens if a Juvenile Runs Away from Detention

If a detention order (aka a warrrant) is issued, you can be arrested. The fact that you are in drug court means that some charges ARE being held over your head. Even in OK these charges do not just go away if you can dodge them until age 18. Becoming an adult doesn't suddenly make criminal charges go away. If you have been given the option of absolving them through drug court, take it. If you do not, you may not have the option of diversion and may, instead, be saddled with a drug conviction (or, in juvenile court parlance, "a true finding") for the rest of your life.

Your call. Make it the smart one. Or, is living the thug or drug life more important to you than a clean slate?
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

In Oklahoma, if you're sentenced to detention before you age out of the system you can potentially be held in detention until the age of twenty. So as cdwjava suggests, running away can make things a lot worse for you.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    If a detention order (aka a warrrant) is issued, you can be arrested. The fact that you are in drug court means that some charges ARE being held over your head. Even in OK these charges do not just go away if you can dodge them until age 18. Becoming an adult doesn't suddenly make criminal charges go away. If you have been given the option of absolving them through drug court, take it. If you do not, you may not have the option of diversion and may, instead, be saddled with a drug conviction (or, in juvenile court parlance, "a true finding") for the rest of your life.

Your call. Make it the smart one. Or, is living the thug or drug life more important to you than a clean slate?
    I'm in drug court for failing a UA for THC while on probation. Was on probation for a curfew ticket. Though you did give me good information, you skipped the most important part of my post. Will police be able to pick me up from a different county, and could my guardian get in trouble for me doing so? ps. I'm not living the drug or thug life, I've been clean from THC for 73 days, I recently didn't get the sanctions done from a few months ago, and was told that a detention order might be placed. I prefer not going to jail for 3 months for not writing sentences, so I will run if need be. Can you please give me some more helpful information on the subject

Quote Quoting kdp1992
    View Post
    I'm in drug court for failing a UA for THC while on probation. Was on probation for a curfew ticket. Though you did give me good information, you skipped the most important part of my post. Will police be able to pick me up from a different county, and could my guardian get in trouble for me doing so? ps. I'm not living the drug or thug life, I've been clean from THC for 73 days, I recently didn't get the sanctions done from a few months ago, and was told that a detention order might be placed. I prefer not going to jail for 3 months for not writing sentences, so I will run if need be. Can you please give me some more helpful information on the subject
    Yes the police can pick you up from a different county and yes your guardian COULD get in trouble. You apparently don't want to have a meaningful career or become a law-abiding adult.

Quote Quoting kdp1992
    View Post
    I'm in drug court for failing a UA for THC while on probation. Was on probation for a curfew ticket. Though you did give me good information, you skipped the most important part of my post. Will police be able to pick me up from a different county, and could my guardian get in trouble for me doing so?
    Yes, and yes! What? Do you think it's a game of hide-and-go-seek where you can feel safe on "home base" (or, in this case, across the county line) to avoid the consequences of YOUR actions?

It does not work that way. You have been given a sweet deal here, don't blow it. Accept the treatment and diversion, get your life clean, and enter adulthood with a clean slate.

When I teach classes on addiction and recovery, I like to bring in addicts who blew off drug court and diversion and did just what you are talking about. They regretted it because it meant a felony jacket for life! It can be difficult as heck to get beyond that. Even if this is just a misdemeanor in your state, employers and schools hesitate to hire or permit attendance of convicted drug users for a host of reasons - not the least of which is liability and trustworthiness.

Do NOT blow this opportunity!

ps. I'm not living the drug or thug life, I've been clean from THC for 73 days,
    That's great! Then you should have NO PROBLEM seeing it through the end!

I recently didn't get the sanctions done from a few months ago, and was told that a detention order might be placed. I prefer not going to jail for 3 months for not writing sentences, so I will run if need be. Can you please give me some more helpful information on the subject
    Running away does not prevent you from suffering the consequences, it only prolongs it, AND it may add additional penalties to whatever you might otherwise face. It does not go away because you cover your eyes and plug your ears and pretend the consequences do not exist.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links