Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Transitioning from SSI to SSDI and Qualifying for Medicare

Have you heard anything directly from the IRS regarding amending your tax returns for 2010 and 2011 ? There is a small window in which tax returns can be amended. If you have passed that window, there is nothing that can be done.

heck yeah, they were done by the time i went to the hearing.
    and yes, they were submitted within the applicable time frame (3 yrs, 3 months, and 15 days)
    they just haven't been reflected in my ssa earnings record.

i brought the originals, the amendments, AND the official IRS transcripts to the hearing.
    and three times to my local ssa office.

It sounds like SSA is waiting for the IRS to confirm everything directly.

i submitted a 'request for correction of earnings record' (form 7008) 9-28-2015
    800 number rep from ssa said they check your records in march and october.

Unfortunately, the 800# often gives incorrect info. Even if the info was correct, you may not have submitted the info in time for it to be checked in Oct.

I would think that even if it hadn't been caught in october, march has come and gone also.

I have found that all along the SSA chain there have been instances of wrong info, no info, and even intentional withholding of info
    (as in, important primary care dr's rfc not included in my file that went to ODAR.

whatever. just keeping on with the process because i can't get surgery any other way.

Have you filed a new claim online? Include in your application that you do not agree with your earnings record.

local disability service center advised not to start a new application as that will put me on a 2 year waiting period for medicare.

They said that since the 800 line rep mailed me the form with an envelope addressed to appeals council that is the route i should follow
    (especially since the instructions page said send it to your local office, and included the local office address. But appeals council is in VA.)

so i'm putting together all documents already submitted and list of contact dates/names,
    and explanation why they didn't get it during the 60 days given to request a review.
    It will appear woefully obvious that i was given wrong information and there existed multiple instances where a field office rep could have given correct info, but didn't.

Medicare starts 29 months after you begin to receive SSDI. That is the 5 month waiting period and 24 months. Or if you have been receiving Medicaid through SSI, that time can be used, but it has to be 29 months or a combination. Just filing an application does not mean that you qualify for Medicare in 24 months, it will depend on the final decision that is made.

firstly, thank you for all your input, it's greatly appreciated.

ok, so my date of disability onset as determined by the judge at the August 2015 hearing was june, 2013.
    i started receiving SSI in November, 2015.

i am not understanding the comment about Medicaid time being used....
    according to SSA Medicaid was retroactive to June 2013.

If i am already declared disabled, what is the decision you are referring to?

so... i know i have the proper number of credits
    (i downloaded ANYPIA and plugged in all the info from my earnings record page; going back to first job that gave me a w4 in 1979.)

i have loads of work history, just a hole in my record because of 2007-2009.

i have ample documentation for tax error from 2010 and enough to prove that i was a 'bonified business' for those two amendments.
    2010 was the first time i declared 'self employment'. i have not performed SGA in quite some time.

it would help a lot (and more than just medicare for the surgery) to be ssdi; i suppose the best course of action would be send the appeal and explanation in and see what happens.
    i mean, it IS on the video taped hearing that i was questioning earnings record. and it is also on there that the judge said the local office would be the place to go. but they've been sitting on it for six months, and not asked me for one iota of more info.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast