Default Modifying Custody Based on a Parent's Alcoholism

My ex husband has always struggled with alcoholism and lately the kids(ages 8 and12) have been coming home telling me stories about things that have happened at their father's house, a lot of arguing, some pushing around(fighting with girlfriend), police being called (due to noise but no formal report filed) and being so drunk that the girlfriend was having to drag him across the floor. We already have a time sharing order in place of every other weekend and he gets them all summer but I'm worried about them being at his house all summer long with him drinking more. Can anyone please give me some guidance as to what my next steps should be I don't know if I should file for modification of time sharing or if I should call Child Protective Services I'm just not sure how to go about this and I've confronted him about his drinking and he denies having a problem and says he has cut back. However he does not know of all the things that the kids have shared with me. If I do take this to court I don't know how I can prove his actions it's not like with other drugs where they can make him take a drug test how can I prove that what the kids are telling me is true it's all hearsay. Thank you

Default Re: What Can I Do About My Childrens Alcoholic Father

This is going to be asked, so it might as well be me asking.

You mention that he's always struggled with alcoholism. What has changed lately? The children lived with you, then him for 2 years, and now you again. Yes? This indicates that he had custody despite his alcoholism. Is that right?

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    This is going to be asked, so it might as well be me asking.

You mention that he's always struggled with alcoholism. What has changed lately? The children lived with you, then him for 2 years, and now you again. Yes? This indicates that he had custody despite his alcoholism. Is that right?
    Where did you get that? I did not see that in posting history.

Never mind, I read more thoroughly.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Where did you get that? I did not see that in posting history.

Never mind, I read more thoroughly.
    I'm loathe to agree with any hint that a violent alcoholic deserves the world, but at the same time if nothing has changed since he had custody I don't see Mom having much success trying to change things now.

Default Re: Modifying Custody Based on a Parent's Alcoholism

Yes the 2 years on/off was our original verbal agreement, however this past year I formally filed for divorce and custody, now the time sharing is every other weekend and he gets them all summer. He had quit drinking for a few years but now has been drinking again for the past several months(this is all per What the kids tell me) What has changed is that the kids are coming home telling me all these things that are happening and if I ask were they drinking alcohol the answer is always yes. He even told them that he gets sad and depressed before they leave and that it makes him drink more! That what my 1w year old is telling me.

Default Re: Modifying Custody Based on a Parent's Alcoholism

Quote Quoting robin27md
    View Post
    Yes the 2 years on/off was our original verbal agreement, however this past year I formally filed for divorce and custody, now the time sharing is every other weekend and he gets them all summer. He had quit drinking for a few years but now has been drinking again for the past several months(this is all per What the kids tell me) What has changed is that the kids are coming home telling me all these things that are happening and if I ask were they drinking alcohol the answer is always yes. He even told them that he gets sad and depressed before they leave and that it makes him drink more! That what my 1w year old is telling me.
    You need an attorney. I can see Dad making a strong argument against whatever it is you are alleging.

1. Sponsored Links