Default Can You Avoid Another Driver's License Suspension for Driving While Under Suspension

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: South Carolina

I had a motorcycle in 2015 and sold it in August of 2015. I cancelled my insurance after selling the motorcycle in Aug '15. I returned the plates very late (sometime in Dec). In the meantime my license was suspended and I was not aware of the fact that my license was suspended.

Later I moved to Michigan in Feb of 2016. One day while I was driving through Lagrange County in Indiana and I got pulled over. I was then notified by the officer that my license was suspended. That was first time I got to know about the fact that my license was suspended.

After I got to know that my license was suspended, I paid the reinstatement fees to SC DMV and got my license reinstated. Also, I paid the ticket for driving under suspension to the Lagrange County Court.

Today I received the letter from SCDMV that I am suspended for 3 months again for driving under suspension in Indiana and I have to carry SR-22 for the next three years. As I am in Michigan now I can't even drive anymore until this issue is resolved as SC DMV has hold on my DL. After this whole issue surfaced and blew up on my face I contacted attorneys in Indiana where I received the ticket for driving under suspension to reopen my case. The attorney from Indiana says there is a very good chance that the case will be reopened and the count can be reduced from driving under suspension to driving under no possession of license.

I have few questions before I proceed further with reopening my case

1. Once the case is reopened, does SCDMV withdraw my suspension until the final judgement is out? If so, can I change my SC DL to Michigan DL between the time suspension is pulled back and judgement is out?
    2 If everything works out and Indiana reduces the count to no possession of DL instead of driving under suspension, will SC DMV still suspend my license again after the new judgement is out from Indiana?
    3. Is there any other alternative I can get out of this suspension irrespective of which state I have to contest?

Any help I can get is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Can You Avoid Another Driver's License Suspension for Driving While Under Suspens

I suggest working with the attorney who believes that he may be able to assist you.

You will not be able to get a Michigan license until your South Carolina license is restored. Michigan won't issue you a license while you are suspended, and you are legally required to report the suspension on your application for a license.

South Carolina's driver's license sanctions and suspensions operate independently of Indiana's. If Indiana also suspends your privileges, however, that's something that can complicate your restoring your privileges in South Carolina and that could also delay your ability to get a license in Michigan pending your resolution of the suspension.

1. Sponsored Links