Default Can Your Parents Stop You from Dropping Out of School

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Michigan

I'm two months from being seventeen. I'm a sophomore in high school, and I don't want to drop out of school. I want that part to be clear, I don't want to drop out of school.

But, I also have a great job, that I love. However, my parents are very controlling and don't like that I'm making money in my own. They've been trying to make up reasons to make me quit. For example, I didn't do the dishes once so they said that since my job was keeping me from doing chores then I should quit my job.
    One time when my mom was angry she said she was going to call my work and tell them that I can't work for them anymore.
    I can't lose my job, I need the money so that when I'm 18 I can leave.

This brings me to dropping out of school. I need something to say in retaliation when my parents try to make me quit. If I tell them that I'll drop out of school if they make me quit my job then I know that they'll stop trying to make me quit my job. They value my education more than anything.

This won't work though if my parents can stop me from dropping out in the first place.

Please don't lecture me on the dangers of dropping out. If I ever do actually drop out them I'll immediately enroll myself in an online program.

I just need to know if my parents can prevent me from dropping out.

Default Re: Can Your Parents Stop You from Dropping Out of School

Quote Quoting CMC1819
    View Post
    I want that part to be clear, I don't want to drop out of school.
    Then... don't.
    Quote Quoting CMC1819
    For example, I didn't do the dishes once so they said that since my job was keeping me from doing chores then I should quit my job.
    They have a point.
    Quote Quoting CMC1819
    This brings me to dropping out of school. I need something to say in retaliation when my parents try to make me quit. If I tell them that I'll drop out of school if they make me quit my job then I know that they'll stop trying to make me quit my job. They value my education more than anything.
    Oh, good grief. You're seventeen, and you want the world to treat you like a grown-up. Part of that means you need to start acting like a grown-up.

Quote Quoting MCL 380.1561 Compulsory attendance at public school; enrollment dates; exceptions.
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, for a child who turned age 11 before December 1, 2009 or who entered grade 6 before 2009, the child's parent, guardian, or other person in this state having control and charge of the child shall send that child to a public school during the entire school year from the age of 6 to the child's sixteenth birthday. Except as otherwise provided in this section, for a child who turns age 11 on or after December 1, 2009 or a child who was age 11 before that date and enters grade 6 in 2009 or later, the child's parent, guardian, or other person in this state having control and charge of the child shall send the child to a public school during the entire school year from the age of 6 to the child's eighteenth birthday. The child's attendance shall be continuous and consecutive for the school year fixed by the school district in which the child is enrolled. In a school district that maintains school during the entire calendar year and in which the school year is divided into quarters, a child is not required to attend the public school more than 3 quarters in 1 calendar year, but a child shall not be absent for 2 or more consecutive quarters.

If you either reached the age of 11 after Dec. 1, 2009, or you entered grade 6 in 2009 or later, you can expect to attend school until you turn 18.

And your parents can, perfectly legally, stop you from working. Bear that in mind.

Sometimes it's very hard abiding by someone else's rules. In this case your parents. Since you're 17, in school and performing a job - you're not doing too bad! As tough as it may be for you I would just walk the line. This means do what they ask (even though it may be a hassle big time + exhausting), save the money, go to school + wait till I am eighteen which is just around the corner. Just one more year and you can say adios.

1. Sponsored Links