Default Debt Collector Won't Acknowledge Payments

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Colorado

I'm not sure if this is for Colorado or California. I reside in Colorado, but I initially filed the response to the debt collector when I was living in California. I had a credit card go to collections and this debt collector served me court papers to collect this debt. This was around 2010/2011. As mentioned previously, I filed a response and agreed to pay $100 a month until it was paid off. After approximately 10 months/payments, I got a phone call from them stating that they had not received any money from me. I explained that the money was sent electronically and confirmed the address of the business, but they stated they would need proof of payment. Should be easy right? Well I got everything my bank could give me. Each PDF showed the amount sent/received, a unique transaction ID, the business name, and my account number. The money was taking out of my account and sent to them. The debt collector stated that they needed more information, but that was all my bank could provide. I even had a 3 way phone call with them, the bank, and myself, but to no avail. They stopped calling me and I let the matter go because I wasn't going to send the more money when they aren't taking it.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, I get a notice in the mail regarding this debt from this same company. It has since more than doubled from all of the interest and proposed fees. I call them up and it ends up going the same route. They state they need more than these PDFs and need pictures of actual checks, but I explain to them what my bank told me, this was sent electronically and there isn't a printed check. I'd be more than happy to start paying again if they'd lower the amount down to what it should have been after those 10 payments, but otherwise I feel like they are ripping me off.

I've filed a claim with the BBB and the company responded, but their "Compliance Officer" said the same thing that they need printed checks or more "proof".

I've called a couple of lawyers but I left them voicemails and hadn't heard anything back for some reason. I thought in the mean time I'd ask for some advice here. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Debt Collector Won't Acknowledge Payments

If the checks were deposited, information about the recipient's bank account and number will be reflected on the back of the check. Either it's the collection agency's account or it's not -- and if it's not, you need to figure out where the money actually went.

You posted this question as being about a collections lawsuit. If you have been sued, you can explore the discovery options in the state in which you've been sued such that you can get verification of the collection agency's bank account information to compare with the information on the checks.

I wasn't sure what to classify it as since they initially sent me to court, but at the moment there isn't any court dates set or anything.

There isn't a "back of the check" though since it was electronic. The name of the business, their address, my account number, are all verified on there. My bank says it was sent to the correct place. So it's like I have no clue where to go when I've gone to both the bank and collection agency and can't get this any further.

If it was an electronic transfer of funds, the information is still there -- you just match up the account records.

On the PDFs the bank sent me it shows the payee's account number along with all of the other information. I had them verify everything but they state that their financial department has no record of it hence the back and forth between me and my bank and I'm not getting anywhere.

1. Sponsored Links