Default Towed from a Condo Parking Lot After Removing My License Plate

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Florida

I live in a condominium with two gates for entrances, I know at the one access point a tow sign is posted but am not sure about the other, I went to purchase a vehicle on a certain day so I moved the current car to a guest parking spot in a parking division over from mine as mine was entirely full with no parking available when I pulled in. I removed the plate and tag off the current car that was in the guest spot so I could drive the car I had planned on purchasing privately back home with a plate. My car in the guest spot was towed with no notice given to me, I had not checked on it being there as I had no idea it would've been towed and I had registered and began driving my new vehicle. 6 days later I went to go move the vehicle from the guest spot and found that it had been towed. I contacted the tow company and went to the location, they billed me $115 for the hooking, $40 for the jacking, $5 per mile, and $25 for each day, as well as a fee for sending out a notification letter of $75 3 days after the tow, which was never received. I ended up paying $367 to repossess my car. When I went to go pay the only method they said were accepted was cash and debit card, no visa or credit. I received no warning or notice of the tow either. There are 4 sub divisions for parking along a strip, the first lot has a sign posted, the second which I had parked in a guest spot has no sign, the third has no sign and the fourth has a sign. The two signs are several hundred feet apart. I am in hillsborough county, do I have a case here? If any other details may be pertinent please ask and I will reply to the best of my knowledge.

Default Re: Wrongfully Towed in Florida Do I Have a Case

What does your lease say about abandoned or unregistered vehicles parked in the complex?

Quote Quoting yyz0
    View Post
    What does your lease say about abandoned or unregistered vehicles parked in the complex?
    "Lease" assumes you're a tenant, but even if you're not a tenant, what are the condo rules for parking unregistered vehicles?

Oh and by the way, you can't just "move" license plates to another vehicle just to drive it. You need to register the new vehicle with your existing tags before you can use the tags on that vehicle. At that point your old vehicle registration becomes invalid. There's no way to use regular (non dealer) tags on multiple vehicles.

Default Re: Towed from a Condo Parking Lot After Removing My License Plate

Yes I know I was just using the plate to drive the car back as it was a 200 mile drive, they sent out a flier saying vehicles without tags or that are unauthorized will be towed but I hadn't seen it unfortunately. I own the condo as well.

I was just wondering if I had a case based on signage or failure to notify or if the tow company has to be capable of accepting non cash payments etc

Default Re: Towed from a Condo Parking Lot After Removing My License Plate

If your CC&Rs provide for them to tow unregistered cars, then you agreed that they can tow your unregistered car. Signs need only be at access points, not in every parking area.

1. Sponsored Links