Default Attempted Debt Collections on Debt That is Not Mine

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: North Carolina

The debt collection agency and business in question both reside in the state of California. I had a debt collector attempt contact with me about a debt I apparently owed. The debt was a little over a $1000 and it was for breach of contract and mispayment for wireless services. Now, I had a phone through this company, but paid each and every month, and was pleased with the service until they raised prices. I even referred my Father, who got three phones and lines through the company.

It turns out however, the company without my consent put my Father on my account! They never sent me any bills, and I didn't receive contact about the debt until the collections company came calling. I disputed the debt through the collections company, and they sent me previous bills and call logs. They had my name at the top, with the ATTN: line to my father and his address! I haven't lived at my Father's address in over 5 years. The collection ended up on my Experian credit report with no luck to me disputing their bill. I tried calling the wireless provider and was even told my account had no balance, but and they would "get back to me." They never did. My Father did admit that he never paid his bill with them, because of an upgrade dispute, but I don't feel like I should be the one to have to suffer the consequences!

I know I have some sort of legal action here, but I'm unsure of what I should do. I'm on the fence about getting an attorney because I can't afford to pay thousands of dollars for one nor do I want to throw a lot of money at this. I was thinking about a small claims case against them, as I know they have zero proof and I even have the original contract and my monthly payments to them (my account was even set up for autopay!).

Thanks in advance for your time.

Default Re: Attempted Debt Collections on Debt That is Not Mine

Quote Quoting clbeav
    View Post
    It turns out however, the company without my consent put my Father on my account!
    Or... that could have been the result of your father's deliberate deception when he set up the account. When you looked at the bills that were sent to your father, were they clearly marked as you describe -- as being in your name, but directed to your father's attention?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Or... that could have been the result of your father's deliberate deception when he set up the account. When you looked at the bills that were sent to your father, were they clearly marked as you describe -- as being in your name, but directed to your father's attention?
    I spoke to my father to ask him if he ever saw the bills and why didn't he tell me my name was on it. He said he always received a text on his phone when payment was due, but never saw the bills. Yes, they had my name at the top, on the line beneath it said ATTN: <My Father's Name> and then my Father's PO Box. I have the records to show what they sent.

You appear to be stating that the phone service states that it sent bills to your father. It really sounds like your father is playing games here -- he didn't see bills, only text messages -- yet he somehow paid the bills, until he chose to stop and leave you on the hook. What payment mechanism did he use, that would not have revealed to him that your name was on the account?

1. Sponsored Links