Question What Happens if Your Ticket Arraignment is Scheduled on a Court Holiday

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of Texas. I received a citation and was required to appear for the initial court date (arraignment) on March 25, 2016. This date just happened to be a holiday (Good Friday). I arrived to the court only to find it was closed. I went to the police department to speak with a supervisor. He informed me he would speak with his Lt. as well as the court clerk on Monday and give em a call back then.

On Monday I received a call from the original officer that wrote the citation who informed me I had to contact the court to reschedule my case. He transferred me to the clerk who told me I had 10 days to reschedule. My question is, when the state required me to appear in court, as I agreed to by my signature on the citation, and I comply but the court is closed, do I have grounds for dismissal?

D

Default Re: Arraignment Date Set for a Holiday - Court Was Closed

I suggest you consult a local traffic attorney to review all the facts. I see nothing in Texas law that indicates this kind of error is automatic grounds for dismissal, but perhaps combined with other facts it could be.

1. Sponsored Links