Default Defending Against a Red Light Camera Ticket

Traffic Light Ticket in Federal Way, Wa

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mbmcb1dc709vg7c/img015.jpg?dl=0

So the incident occured 3/1/16 and wasn't issued till 3/14/16??? What would you say the chances are they violated the 14 day rule and how would you word it? Of course there is no postmark on the letter so it would be impossible to trace when USPS received it... We rec'd the infraction in the mail on 3/17... (RCW 46.63.170 (1E)) RCW 9A.56.010 defines mail as "Has been left for collection or delivery in any letter box, mail box, ..." so I feel that defense its a sketchy defense. All that officer had to do was put it in a mail box at his department on 3/14.

This is my wifes ticket. She also says she doesnt remember driving that day and always stops at stoplights for a right turn, so questionable driver identity?

What about attacking the camera system itself? Couldn't you say in heavy traffic the camera system shadowed other vehicles in the intersection?

Default Re: Defending Against a Red Light Camera Ticket

From what you have told us, it does not appear that your wife is going to get anywhere by claiming that the ticket was not mailed within fourteen days.

Your wife can look at the pictures and video associated with the ticket. Either she's driving the car or she's not. But unless you're telling us that you and your wife had been lending out your car, if it wasn't you, who else would it have been?

The pictures and video will tell the story. If they show your wife running or rolling through a red light, then no argument about shadowing other vehicles is going to work; if it does not, no such argument is necessary.

I dunno. I call BS based on the pictures. 4 seconds elapsed between frames and the car barely moved. Is there VIDEO of the incident? Is there no right on red?

Looking at the intersection, it appears they may NOT have complied with the law for signage. The only place I see the photo enforcement signs is ACROSS the other side. I am trying to find it, but if memory serves, they must post a sign a minimum of 100 feet BEFORE the intersection. The only sign in that area is a Right Turn Only lane sign.

I looked today, there is a sign like 100 yards before the intersection. There is video evidence but I cant show it on here. She came close to a full stop. lmao. I'm going to suggest she mitigate it.

Update - We contested this by mail and won using the 14 day defense. We were supposed to send it to the Arizona company, but sent it to Fed Way court instead... Received another copy of the same ticket??? Sent the same letter to Fed Way court, and then got a notice saying we won.

1. Sponsored Links