Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Default Re: Disabled Handicap Parking

Yeah, I get it. Despite the fact that the ordinance talks about vehicle in the singular, since it doesn't expressly state that you can't use vehicles in the multiple to transport a single person, we have to let them do it.

Let's us agree to disagree too, Mr. K.

You're talking about this?
    E. The use or display of a disabled placard or license plate that is stolen, expired, issued to a person who is now deceased, or is otherwise invalid in or upon a vehicle parked in a public right-of-way or on other publicly owned or controlled property is a parking infraction with a monetary penalty of Two Hundred Fifty Dollars ($250).
    Each vehicle had one hang tag. You've provided nothing to indicate that either hang tag was invalid and, even under the officer's apparent theory, either hang tag could have been used in either vehicle -- the officer's actual objection is to the number of vehicles, not to the validity of the hang tags. Again, the language of the ordinance matters, and nothing you have shared suggests any violation of subsection (E) of the ordinance.

I suspect another poster hit it on the head previously. The perq is applied to vehicles showing a valid placard. If a vehicle is not being used to transport the person the placard was issued to, it is not considered to be a valid placard. Then, going back to the fact only one vehicle can be used to transport a person at any given time, only one placard can be considered valid at any given time.

If op recovieved tickets on both vehicles I concede one of them is not valid but I have no problem accepting one of them is valid.

The saddest part is that from the answers I've gotten, I know that not a single person here actually heard what I was saying, and I suspect that only Dogmatique and maybe eerelations will truly understand what I'm getting at. It's far more than whether the OP in this case did or did not violate anything. It's an entire attitude that is so pervasive that no one even realizes it.

I understand what you have said cbg. In fact my last post includes your assertion of the inference regarding multiple vehicles as a basis to argue at least one ticket would be valid.

As far as an attitude in society; as K stated, that is not a basis to argue the ticket is valid.

So, looking back at this, the OP was moving the vehicles every 72 hours. Were they even using handicap priveleges? OP stated there were some no parking times on the opposite side of the street. But if the placards are not in use, is there even a question as to if they are being used? I should not have my placard hanging from my mirror while driving, but what says I cannot have it there when parked in any spot I am in while not using it? It's the same as having HC plates, but not using them.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    The saddest part is that from the answers I've gotten, I know that not a single person here actually heard what I was saying, and I suspect that only Dogmatique and maybe eerelations will truly understand what I'm getting at. It's far more than whether the OP in this case did or did not violate anything. It's an entire attitude that is so pervasive that no one even realizes it.
    Yes. When you were last here, I think we both solidified our previous conclusion.

As far as this one is concerned, I follow jk's following of another poster (it's early. I'm not caffeinated. gimme a break) :

If a vehicle is not being used to transport the person the placard was issued to, it is not considered to be a valid placard. Then, going back to the fact only one vehicle can be used to transport a person at any given time, only one placard can be considered valid at any given time.

If op recovieved tickets on both vehicles I concede one of them is not valid but I have no problem accepting one of them is valid.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I suspect another poster hit it on the head previously. The perq is applied to vehicles showing a valid placard. If a vehicle is not being used to transport the person the placard was issued to, it is not considered to be a valid placard.
    That's not what the ordinance says. That's not what the statute governing the issuance of hang tags says. That's not what the state regulations say. So other than, "He made it up but it sounds like it should be the law," what's the legal argument that the statement is correct?
    Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Oh, no -- I get the attitude. I get why people want to issue this guy the tickets. But as has been repeatedly pointed out, the moral issue is separate from the legal issue.

Quote Quoting Cocoabean
    View Post
    So, looking back at this, the OP was moving the vehicles every 72 hours. Were they even using handicap priveleges? OP stated there were some no parking times on the opposite side of the street. But if the placards are not in use, is there even a question as to if they are being used? I should not have my placard hanging from my mirror while driving, but what says I cannot have it there when parked in any spot I am in while not using it? It's the same as having HC plates, but not using them.

In residential areas where the number of parking spaces are limited, some cities restrict street parking to vehicles with special paid permits that are only issued to residents. An exception is made for cars with handicapped plates. I suspect that it the OP's situation.

Quote Quoting L-1
    View Post
    In residential areas where the number of parking spaces are limited, some cities restrict street parking to vehicles with special paid permits that are only issued to residents. An exception is made for cars with handicapped plates. I suspect that it the OP's situation.
    Even if true, such an ordinance would be irrelevant to the ticket.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast