Default Determining the Basis for Fees Charged by a Landlord After Eviction

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: NEW YORK

went to court for a housing matter, the landlord was trying to evict us for nuisance but ending settling and a stipulation was signed and we agreed to pay the back rent for 5 months, I paid the sum and my next rent is due on April, got a letter from the landlord stating I owed $1275 and an additional fee of $650. Can anyone shed any light on this matter as to what these fees can be for.

Default Re: Determining the Basis for Fees Charged by a Landlord After Eviction

Try asking your former landlord.

Tried that, the person in charge is away until next week, just trying to see if anyone may know what these fees could be.

No clue.

Spoke to the Management Office and they told me my lease states I have to pay legal fees if we went to court. Nothing of this was mentioned in the stipulation signed by the Judge. Does the landlord have a right to legal fees if the court did not order it, the matter was settled, no one won so how can they claim I owe them legal fees.

Does your lease contain such a provision?

Quote Quoting MARYLEES69
    View Post
    Spoke to the Management Office and they told me my lease states I have to pay legal fees if we went to court. Nothing of this was mentioned in the stipulation signed by the Judge. Does the landlord have a right to legal fees if the court did not order it, the matter was settled, no one won so how can they claim I owe them legal fees.
    It was in your original lease, so yes they are within their rights to charge you for this.

I heard that it has to be ordered by the judge.

1. Sponsored Links