Default Liability for Damages From a Broken Water Line

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of:
    hi every one
    thank you for the help and sorry in advance if i am not in the right forum area
    here is what happened a while ago a water pipe in my toilet broke and there was a big leakage of water from the flushing water pipe which is basically salt water used for only flushing toilets , after it broke i went and try to call the management but i couldn't find them and this i did 3 times in the span of 10-15 min and the water just kept leaking until it reached to the lift and caused damage on the lift only when i broke the fire alarm did the management and the firefighter came and help me stop the leakage ( i dint knew at the time that i shouldn't have used the fire emergency service but i freaked out and just acted )

and this happened after a few weeks the management sends me a letter saying i have to pay roughly 25,000 usd for the damage caused by the flooding .
    my question is , is it only my fault or the management is also to blame ? because the main switch ( or the control room for the water pipes) is located at the roof top and its only excessed by the management
    i think i will go to a lawyer but the consultation cost would alone cost me a fortune .. so any advice would be helpful
    thank you very much

Default Re: Damages

You have chosen not to follow the instruction to identify your state. You have chosen not to tell us whether this is an apartment, condo or co-op, or whether you are an owner or a tenant. Please note also that making an effort to select the correct forum can at least give us a hint as to the context for the dispute.

Ideally you will have insurance, and can pass the claim along to your insurance. But if you want people to be able to try to address this issue, you need to provide the relevant context. It would also be helpful to know why the water line broke and why you weren't able to shut off the flow.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You have chosen not to follow the instruction to identify your state. You have chosen not to tell us whether this is an apartment, condo or co-op, or whether you are an owner or a tenant. Please note also that making an effort to select the correct forum can at least give us a hint as to the context for the dispute.

Ideally you will have insurance, and can pass the claim along to your insurance. But if you want people to be able to try to address this issue, you need to provide the relevant context. It would also be helpful to know why the water line broke and why you weren't able to shut off the flow.
    hi there
    i am sorry i thought it would not be relevant coz i am from hongkong and i own the resident and i only have fire insurance and its a 15 floor building i live in 5th floor which has 7 other apartments from A to G

This forum is for US law.

i know and i am sorry but i just wanted a rough idea off what i am facing and forums on hongkong legals arent that good like US

Unfortunately, the laws of Hong Kong have absolutely nothing to do with U.S. law, and nothing we say here would be relevant in a Hong Kong legal proceeding.

oh okay
    thank you very much anyway
    cheers !!

1. Sponsored Links