Default Divorce and the stay-at-home mom

I am currently in the process of a divorce after 10 years of marriage. We have two children together (1 by birth and 1 by adoption). I became a stay-at-home mom 8.5 yrs ago following the birth of our daughter. She has health and neurological problems. We subsequently adopted a little boy that is considered medically fragile and who also has neurological and physical issues. We purchased the home we are in 2 years ago because it suited the physical needs of both of our children. It has been agreed upon that I will get physical custody of the children and he agrees that I should remain in the home but wants me to refinance and get his name removed from the mortgage. I don't know if this is possible or not, but is there any way to require him to pay a portion of the mortgage to help provide the children with a home? Due to the needs of our children, I will not be able to work outside of the home.

Default Re: Divorce and the stay-at-home mom

Divorce laws vary by state. Normally you would pay for your housing out of the child support and spousal support you receive, rather than receiving an additional sum toward the mortgage.

If you're not working and have no income, it's not realistic for him to expect that you would be able to refinance the home.

Default Re: Divorce and the stay-at-home mom

HTML Code:
    If you're not working and have no income, it's not realistic for him to expect that you would be able to refinance the home.
    Therein lies the problem. He is saying that if I don't refinance, then he wants the house to be listed for sale immediately and I would have to find a new place to live that is suitable for my children.

Basically, this whole divorce revolves around money for him. It has nothing to do with what is best for the kids...just how it affects his wallet. (Sorry for the vent)

1. Sponsored Links