Default How long until served papers?

I will be going to see my attorney on Monday to start filling out the paperwork for my divorce. I can not file with the courts until Feb 1st though because I have not lived in OH for the full 6 months yet. Feb 1st will be the day of the 6 month mark. So, if my atty can get me in that day or a few days after to file how long does it take to serve my spouse the papers? I plan on asking my atty on Monday but just wanted to see if I could get a ball park figure on here.

Also, how will my spouse be sereved the papers? I've heard that the cops will do it or it can go to the post office. He lives in WI and I live in OH.

Thanks.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: How long until served papers?

Find a "Process Server" once done should be a day or two long as you know where to find subject

Q: So, if my atty can get me in that day or a few days after to file how long does it take to serve my spouse the papers?...Also, how will my spouse be sereved the papers?

A: Generally, 30-60 days after it is filed if they can find the other party in the lawsuit. Also generally, some places have deputy sheriffs serve papers, other places have private process servers.

Ask your lawyer how they intend to serve the papers, and how long service usually takes. I'm assuming that your spouse either lives with you or you know the address where service should occur.

Certified mail is okay if the person is willing to sign for the papers, but if not then they won't be received. A process server usually gets service accomplished within a few days, assuming the person isn't trying to avoid being served.

1. Sponsored Links