Default Can You Be Charged With Drug Possession Based on Items in Your Repossessed Vehicle

My question involves criminal law for the state of: wisconsin

Yesterday i had my vehicle repoed, and when i went to pick it up they told me they found a pipe,grinder with pot in and turned it over to police, can i be charged with possession?

Default Re: Possible Possession After Vehicle Was Repoed

Quote Quoting Ziggie
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: wisconsin

Yesterday i had my vehicle repoed, and when i went to pick it up they told me they found a pipe,grinder with pot in and turned it over to police, can i be charged with possession?
    They can always try to charge you. That said, I suspect they were just giving you a case of nerves - that pot has been smoked by now. I can't imagine any PD with nothing better to do than chase circumstantial minor possession charges.

Default Re: Can You Be Charged With Drug Possession Based on Items in Your Repossessed Vehicl

Kinda what im hoping for. But if not, does anybody know what area of the statutes i would look. You would think this kinda stuff would be easier to find cause i know im not the only one who's had this happen.

Default Re: Can You Be Charged With Drug Possession Based on Items in Your Repossessed Vehicl

Quote Quoting Ziggie
    View Post
    Kinda what im hoping for. But if not, does anybody know what area of the statutes i would look. You would think this kinda stuff would be easier to find cause i know im not the only one who's had this happen.
    Anything can happen, but I'd love to see the prosecutor try that case. Your honor, the evidence in question was handed to us by the tow company employee. He double pinky swears it was in the defendant's car.

If the impound lot notified the police when they found contraband, and the police came out and took it into evidence, I don't think that it would be particularly difficult for the prosecutor to argue that the contraband belonged to the defendant. If the impound lot removed the contraband, more so if a significant amount of time passed before they contacted the police, it would become a more difficult case. DNA testing remains possible, but a prosecutor would likely not be inspired to put that level of resources into a minor case.

1. Sponsored Links