Default SSDI and Medicare Investigated for Overpayment After Periods of Employment

I was getting SSDI and Medicare via childhood Survivor Benefits. My diagnosis varies depending on which doc you ask. It's either Schizoaffective and adult ADHD, or Severe case of Manic Bi Polar, PTSD, Avoidant Personality Disorder and a possibility of Multiple Personality Disorder. With MPD they didn't have enough evidence to put it down as a diagnosis. I have never reported my earnings to SS. When I first went on disability after turning 18 I was told by an employee of SS that they have access to my paycheck info via employers so there is no need to send in pay stubs.

In July 2014 I attempted to go full time. After a few months I started having mood swings and blew my top at work a few times. I pushed myself to stick with it and then started zoning out for extended periods of time and at one point when I came too I was on the other end of the room pacing and talking to myself. I requested my boss cut hours and told him what the deal was out of good faith. He cut my hours however he became passive aggressive. He would do things such as point at employees vehicles or cell phones and make comments such as "So and so doesn't work, they can't afford that!". He would also stand over my shoulder as I was dealing with customers knowing I have severe anxiety and then get upset when I botched a sale. I considered contacting the EEOC but knew it would make things worse so I stopped showing up for work.

That was Dec 2014, my friend needed help at his job part time so I applied and was hired in Jan 2015. However a few months in they started giving me full time hours and out of fear of the same outcome at my previous job, I kept my mouth shut. One day a customer came in with a piece of merchandise they broke trying to return it, and I told him I couldn't return it due to the damage. He became upset, I asked him to leave or I would have to call police. He left however came back a few hours later with a couple friends running his mouth and disrupting customers. I made my way over towards the phone and he made a comment about "that's how people around here get shot" and I blew up and charged at him. Face to face with him I told him to leave on his own terms or he'd be leaving in a body bag. Despite the circumstances he reported me to the business owner and I was fired due to legal liability.

Following the incident where I got fired. My doctor gave me mood stabilizers on top of the anti psychotics and recommended I go full time. I figured with the mood stabilizers I wouldn't blow my top so easily again. After working 40+ hours a week for a few months I ended up having manic episodes at work even with the mood stabilzers and had to cut my hours. I told my social worker what was going and she told me to ignore my doc and stay part time, and also started reviewing my income. In late Feb she said I made too much and contacting a organization that would be able to approach social security on my behalf and let them know I was in the middle of an overpayment, however it was too late.

As of March my disability payments are suspended pending review, and I just received a notice from Medicare for 420 dollars and I have a feeling more are on the way. My meds are 1800 a month without insurance so I'm afraid I'll owe back thousands, not including social security overpayment.

I'm not sure what to do here, I realize I shot myself in the foot but I honestly thought I was well enough to work on two of the three occasions. I've noticed full time bothers me, but right now I'm at 3 days a week and the time off from work allows me to keep my stress levels low. Right now I am worried because I had to get a credit card to pay some of my bills with me only working part time, however I live with my grandfather and he has told me don't worry about rent until this is figured out. I'm so stressed I'm afraid I'm going to lose my part time job. The other night when my overpayment notice from medicare came in I was at work anxious as hell. I was sweating, shaking and zoning out and state police came by to get some coffee and starting going through trash in the bathrooms looking for drugs. I asked him if I could help with anything and he just shot me a look stating he was looking for a reason to file a report.

I'm getting ready to call my local social services office because they offer a charity program to help pay off this medicare premium which was kicked back to me, and I was told I qualify for it due to my limited income.

If someone could give me a run down of my other options at this point, I'd appreciate it.

Not sure who changed it, it's SSDI & Medicare via Childhood Survivor Benefits. The SSN on my statements and Medicare card have my grandfather's SSN#. Basically I went over my SGA limit after using up my 9month TWP.

Medicaid said my I can sign up for them based on my disability however once I lose it I lose medicaid as well

Ok I figured it out. Since its SSDI they withhold my check to recoup the overpayment.

As far as Medicare goes ill have to talk to social services and social security.

Default Re: SSDI and Medicare Investigated for Overpayment After Periods of Employment

The Medicaid that you have when you also receive Medicare is not the same as regular Medicaid. You aren't still considered disabled if you have been working over SGA after the 9 month trial period. The social security number has always been your grandfathers because that is the record you received benefits on. You only qualify for help with Medicare Premiums if you're currently have Medicare. It is not retroactive for situation like this.

If you were already receiving Medicaid to help with the cost of Medicare, with your income from working, you may not have been eligible for the help you received. There is nothing that will help you pay back Medicare or SSA for what you received that you weren't entitled to.

If you were also receiving SSI, you have to report All income that you receive to SSA within 10 days of receiving it. SSA will take what is owed out of any IRS refund that you may have coming if you don't make and keep arrangements to repay SSA for benefits you received that you weren't eligible for.

If you can prove that you're still disabled, depending on how many months you made over SGA, you may still be eligible for SSDI. But, that doesn't mean that you won't owe Medicaid for any assistance that you received though them paying your Medicare Premiums and Extra Help with your Medicare Part D Prescription. If you were also receiving SSI, that will have to be paid back.

Default Re: SSDI and Medicare Investigated for Overpayment After Periods of Employment

Once again this is not SSI and Medicaid. It is SSDI and Medicare. I was receiving 900.90 a month with 104.90 deducted for Medicare insurance. So my deposit is $796 which is more than SSI, so it isn't SSI.

Looking at my bill from Medicare it doesn't mention overpayment anywhere It says notice of Medicare Premium Due. It's my Part B premium.

And I never signed up for Medicaid.

I had a Part D plan I used to keep the price of my meds at 7-10 dollars a month.

The original title was confusing. With your income I'm surprised that you weren't receiving help from Medicaid paying your Medicare Premiims and help with your your prescription drugs. I have put a link below, if your SSDI continues you may want to look into it.

Medicare Savings Programs-
    https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...-programs.html

Save on drug costs-
    https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...rug-costs.html

The mods changed the title, they were thinking it was SSI and Medicaid. Made it bit more confusing.

Just got a bill from my therapist for Dec & Jan for $100. I haven't lost the SSDI yet however it looks likes they're backtracking and making corrections.

I'm going to hold off on Medicaid until I hear directly from SS. If they consider me no longer disabled then signing up for it is futile.

I talked to my social worker and all she can help me with is meds. If I go the local community services board and see their doctors I can get meds for free at my income level. Ill have no choice but to go full time and hope I can keep it together.

I went ahead and put the therapist Bill on my CC until I get paid next week. The choice group are the ones who were going to pay SS a visit and tell them I was in an overpayment, they just called me and I will meet them next week and they'll see if they can do anything to help me out. I'll update then.

Yeah I definitely hope these people can explain this too me. I was going over my notice from Medicare and it says my premium is due and reading the info on the back it says if I don't pay I lose Medicare and all this statement is saying is my premium increased due to my income increase.

Hopefully this will settle my nerves, starting hallucinating last night. All I could do was tear my room apart and clean, clean, clean to keep my mind busy.

Welp..... I may be in quite a bit of trouble here. After talking with this group they say I've most likely used up my TWP in late 2011 to early 2012 while working PT and attending school. Going through my own records it appears I went over SGA for the first time in april - june 2014 when I was told to go full time for a short period after two employees quit or my manager would fire me.

Doing the calculations I probably owe back 15k - 20k worth of monthly checks.

Ill be doing a conference call with SS and this group friday morning. I may end up needing to hire a lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links