Question How to Find Out in Advance if a Police Officer Will Show Up for Traffic Court

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CA

Hi,
    I want to find out if the traffic cop who gave me a ticket 6 months ago is still working as a cop at the same area. I am hoping that she either moved to another area or quit, so my case would be dismissed in court because she cannot show up. If she is still working there, I would just try to get continuance and try my luck later, or get the fine reduction at the arraignment. If not, I will get the trial dismissed because she doesn't show up.

I have only the badge # and her full last name and first name initial on the ticket. How do I find out if she is still a cop in the area?

Default Re: How to Find Out if Traffic Cop is Able to Show Up in Trial Beforehand

Well, you can call the agency and ask ... but, they do not have to tell you the truth. And given the number of assaults and ambushes on officers in the last couple of years even in CA, you will find agencies very reluctant to give much of ANY info out about officers, their shifts, or their assignments.

The odds of an officer quitting is nearly nil. In the CHP the odds of an officer transferring to another area is better, depending on the area and the officer, but, still slim.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: How to Find Out in Advance if a Police Officer Will Show Up for Traffic Court

Quote Quoting highrollers
    View Post
    I want to find out if the traffic cop who gave me a ticket 6 months ago is still working as a cop at the same area. I am hoping that she either moved to another area or quit, so my case would be dismissed in court because she cannot show up. If she is still working there, I would just try to get continuance and try my luck later, or get the fine reduction at the arraignment. If not, I will get the trial dismissed because she doesn't show up.
    You're delusional if you think that strategy is going to get you out from under the citation.

Default Re: How to Find Out in Advance if a Police Officer Will Show Up for Traffic Court

I suggest you not waste your time trying to figure out if the cop still works for the agency. Chances are she does unless she was older and might be near retirement. Most cops do not just up and quit before retirement. Besides, even if she has left she might still show up and testify at the hearing. Since you have no reliable way to know if the cop will show or not before the hearing all you can do is show up at the hearing date and see if the cop is there.

And in many courts, the cases are scheduled for days that the officer is scheduled to be there. Even asking for continuances tends to just shift things from days the officer was scheduled to be in court to another day they are scheduled.

1. Sponsored Links