Exclamation Insured Vehicle with a Suspended Registration Involved in a Traffic Accident

My question involves insurance law for the state of: Georgia

Hi there,
    My situation is unusual, so I'll try to be brief. I loaned my vehicle to a friend in another city for an extended period of time.
    My friend was the contributing factor in an accident. The car insurance was current at the time of the accident.

This situation becomes complex because in November of last year, I had loaned this vehicle to another friend who was also
    involved in an accident. The vehicle was not driven after the accident while I sorted out repair estimates, etc.
    In the midst of dealing with the accident, I let the insurance lapse for 14 days. After that short period, the vehicle has been insured
    continuously until I cancelled the registration a few days ago.

Moving back up to the time of the accident, I was then informed that my car registration was suspended. My friend has a
    court date coming up, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to assist her in court. Is it true that the State of Georgia
    has to inform you by certified letter, or some other secure means, of a suspended vehicle registration? I never received a notification
    of that sort. What can I do to help my friend in court?

Default Re: Insured Vehicle with a Suspended Registration Involved in a Traffic Accident

There's no requirement to notify you your registration is suspended PERIOD.

The notice of pending suspension allows you to correct their impression that you are driving uninsured. But that notice only needs to be sent by regular mail.

Default Re: Insured Vehicle with a Suspended Registration Involved in a Traffic Accident

Quote Quoting anothergamotorist
    View Post
    My question involves insurance law for the state of: Georgia

Is it true that the State of Georgia has to inform you by certified letter, or some other secure means, of a suspended vehicle registration? I never received a notification of that sort. What can I do to help my friend in court?
    No. All the the state DMV is required to do is send you mail (can be regular mail) upon receiving notice from the Insurance Department that your insurance lapsed informing you of the lapse and advising you that if the lapse is not cured within 30 days, along with paying and $25 lapse fee to the DMV, your registration will be suspended. If you don’t cure it within the 30 days and pay that fee then the registration is automatically suspended and no new notice of that is required. To get the suspension lifted you need to get insurance on vehicle and pay a $25 lapse fee and a $60 restoration fee. The mailing of the warning notice about the suspension in 30 days “shall be deemed notice of such owner's duty to maintain the required minimum insurance coverage and the possible penalties and consequences for failing to do so and shall be deemed to satisfy all notice requirements of law.” Georgia Code § 40-2-137(d)(1)(c). So find out if the DMV mailed the notice. If it did, then you won’t have any defense based on lack of notice. It doesn’t matter whether you actually got it. It matters only whether it was sent. Was your address on the registration current at the time of the lapse? If not then that would certainly explain why you never got the notice.

1. Sponsored Links