Question Calling a Customer and Asking Her Out

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

i work at a car rental place and earlier this week I had a female customer that I should have asked out on the spot but stupid me didn't and I'm regretting it now. We did have some small talk and smiled at each other. I did feel a connection.

Anyways I'm thinking about giving her one single call and ask her out on the phone. I do have her phone nr since she called the store while she had the car. We have caller id.

Worst things that can happen, she is creeped out,hangs up,says no, she complains to my employer.

But I'm wondering can it possibly get worse? Could she file a lawsuit against my employer? Maybe for sexual/verbal/physical??? harassment or anything similar.? I simply wanna ask her if she wants to go on a date and that's it. but i dont wanna call her if for some reason it could get me in legal trouble.

Any help is appreciated

Default Re: Calling a Customer and Ask Her Out

Don't.
    Do.
    That.

You were not given her phone number for any other reason than those required by your employer's business.

No, she can't sue your employer for harassment. But she sure as heck can make your life very, very miserable - and that includes your boss firing you because she's calling him to complain every 10 minutes.

(And that would be a legal firing)
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

I recommend against asking her out. If she complains to your employer there is a very, very good chance you will be fired on the spot. Many companies have a policy against asking out customers. She didn’t give your employer her number so that you could ask her out, after all. She’d likely view that as a breach of her privacy. If you get fired over this, I woudn’t count on getting any unemployment comp, either. Getting another job might also be tough if the car rental place tells the places you apply why you got fired since other employers are not likely to want a guy who’d ask out their customers.

And if she really wanted to push it, she could indeed try suing the employer for sex discrimination, since sex discrimination by places of public accommodation is illegal under California state law. And yes, this could be viewed a a form of sex discrimination. Whether she’d actually win anything is another issue, and that would depend on all the details of what happened between you.

Ooooh I did not know that - and now I do!

Thank you, Taxing!

And OP - since I have a feeling this is going to come up - yes, your employer is free to tell others exactly why you were fired. Many think that an employer can only ever confirm dates of employment but this is simply not true.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

i dont wanna call her if for some reason it could get me in legal trouble.

Then I most strongly recommend that you do not call her.

1. Sponsored Links