Default Employee Discount Violation

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New Hampshire

I was accused of violating the employee discount at the business I'm employed at, and while they are investigating the matter, I wanted to get some reassurance. Based over a long time period and how my workplace exercises its employee discount, I basically "double dipped" on the discount, unknowingly at the time, but now I can see what went wrong. It's an amount of $10 that I saved by do this, and I feel that this is really minor, but should I be concerned at all over criminal charges for such an action?

Default Re: Employee Discount Violation

You may feel it is minor but it sounds like if it was intentional it was criminal none the less. Employee theft is a huge problem for merchants and most take even small value theft as a serious Isssue.

Whether they will seek criminal charges is completely up to them and whether the prosecutor is willing to file the charges.

Appreciate your thoughts. I'm just wondering if there's even a case as they may be able to show what happened using documentation, but how can they prove intent? If it was a mistake on my part, partially due to not understanding vague rules, does that mean anything legally? Should I ask my employer this or keep my mouth shut and wait to see? If I get terminated, would criminal charges come immediately or could they take months?

Given I have no idea what you actually did I cannot even suggest how they can prove anything.

Along with that I don't know what specific laws are involved. Many misdemeanor crimes have up to a 1 year statute of limitations. That means the prosecutor has up to 1 year from the date of the incident to actually file charges. Generally it is much quicker than that but it could take that long.

If all is as you say it is, I would be very surprised if this led to criminal charges. You might very well lose your job, however.

Quote Quoting fasteddie911
    View Post
    Based over a long time period
    You're saying this happened long ago, or this has happened multiple times over a long time period?

View Post
    "double dipped" on the discount,
    You walked away with money or a product?

View Post
    but now I can see what went wrong.
    Did someone explain something to you, or you just realize now what you have been doing wrong?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

This happened a few months ago and only once. Our company has multiple ways to get employee discounts (cards, sales, etc.), and instead of getting 50% off an item once as an employee discount, I ended up getting an item with 50% applied twice (so at 25% of the original price), so in essence walking away some savings and an item to show for it. It's a bit confusing how it happened and it occurred over a period of a few months due to making multiple purchases/returns with my employee discount, thus leading me to lose track of how and when the discount was applied on previous purchases/returns. Someone from LP brought it to my attention and once they show me the transactions on paper and explained it, I could see what I did wrong. It's unfortunate because they were running a promotion at that time for regular customers where they could essentially get the same item for the price I eventually ended up paying for it, so it would have been fine if I had purchased the item as a regular customer instead of an employee.

For LP to even bring this into light, we must be talking about a large dollar figure? So it is up to the policy of the store and for them to decide if they want to terminate you and file a police report on the matter.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Just wanted to add that I've been wondering if what I did was illegal, seems like a grey area. Maybe they could claim loss of profits, but I know for sure that a savvy non-employee shopper could have purchased the same item for the same price that I did, legally within the law and company policies, using promotions and discounts. Moreover, the contract I signed doesn't explicitly state that what I did was wrong, while I understand the company's stance, the language for employee discounts are vague and basically says not to abuse it. So while I can see how they may terminate me (which I can understand), I'm wondering if they have enough to prosecute with.

You have admitted to manipulating the system to get a double discount, despite knowing that you were only entitled to a single discount. We have no reason to believe that the store, police and prosecutor would not regard that as theft.

1. Sponsored Links