Default How Can I Find Out if a Plea Was Entered into the System As Guilty or Not Guilty

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Illinois.

Years back, I posted here about a misdemeanor dv charge. Since then, the "Bodily Harm" part of the dv charge was discovered as a typographical error, and that nothing could be done about it. It was, however, changed 3 days later to the other Insulting\Provoking charge... This was 3 years after my trial.

I recently had a hearing for clemency, and was met with no resistance. It was extremely light-hearted. During this hearing, one of the panel members remarked, "but you plead guilty." My Sister, Father, and I took it as a sort of "joke," possibly to try and get a rise out of me.

The problem is, if he wasn't joking... I plead not guilty and I can prove this with plea transcripts if needed.

All of the paperwork I have, as well as anything I can find online about my case just says "Plea: Bench Trial."

I have made many calls today, even to the circuit clerk and the people they directed me to... NOBODY can give me an answer pertaining to what was officially entered as my plea (they dont know how, literally). If it was guilty, it would be a second typo. As I plead not guilty.

I have no other means of help, and parents who have completely destroyed my life, yet support me barebones financially because they know that something very bad happened here. A lawyer for me has always been out of the question (they are\were not good parents, this entire thing was about leveraging the court)

Please help me find out how I can discover what the officially entered plea for my case was. Sorry for the rambling...

Default Re: How Can I Find Out if a Plea Was Entered into the System As Guilty or Not Guilty

I suggest you go visit the courthouse where the records are kept and personally review the case file documents.

The people you talk to on the phone are useless because they are not looking in the case file, they are only looking up the electronic docket.

Default Re: How Can I Find Out if a Plea Was Entered into the System As Guilty or Not Guilty

Quote Quoting JetJaguar
    View Post
    Years back, I posted here about a misdemeanor dv charge. Since then, the "Bodily Harm" part of the dv charge was discovered as a typographical error, and that nothing could be done about it.
    I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.
    Quote Quoting JetJaguar
    It was, however, changed 3 days later to the other Insulting\Provoking charge...
    If it was changed, then something could be done about it and the problem was fixed. You're not making sense.
    Quote Quoting JetJaguar
    I recently had a hearing for clemency, and was met with no resistance.
    That would mean, clemency for your conviction on the domestic violence charge, right?
    Quote Quoting JetJaguar
    During this hearing, one of the panel members remarked, "but you plead guilty."
    You were convicted, so if you did not plead guilty you went to trial, the evidence was presented, and the judge found you guilty of the offense.
    Quote Quoting JetJaguar
    All of the paperwork I have, as well as anything I can find online about my case just says "Plea: Bench Trial."
    Perhaps the person misinterpreted that entry as suggesting a guilty plea, as opposed to a plea of not guilty following a conviction after a bench trial.

If you had a trial and were convicted, that's what your court record is going to show.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

If it was changed, then something could be done about it and the problem was fixed. You're not making sense.

That would mean, clemency for your conviction on the domestic violence charge, right?
    I understand, and I will try to clarify. Maybe you can help me. BTW, thanks to both for getting back so fast.

3 years after this trial, we finally saw a lawyer (friend of my Moms unfortunately, but a real lawyer who was led, by her, into a misapprehension about me. She called him for herself, not me.) During the years before, I was battling the Bodily Harm "version" of this charge best I could. This was to ignorant ears though, known to my sister and I as absolutely deplorable parents. I was being naive thinking my parents would really help me...

My original "conviction" of "Domestic Violence with Bodily Harm" was changed to "Domestic Violence with Insulting\Provoking Contact." (720 ILCS 5/12-3.2; part 1 to part 2) This was after I called the lawyer, who insisted I was convicted of the "provoking" version, and asked him why does the judicial database say "Bodily Harm?" Why did some background checks say "Bodily Harm?" I was even denied a condo, and saw one other cheap rookie lawyer, all under the pretense that I committed Bodily Harm. I was even rejected by the DA. My lawyer looked at the database and responded..."You know what? You're right." 3 days later it was changed in the system. I have multiple forms of notarized proof from him, as well as before and after screenshots I took showing the change.

My lawyer told me that this was a typographical error ("a 2 where a 1 should have been") and that nobody can be held accountable for this. I assume he is correct because its the same charge, just a different "version." I question this, because I have experienced losses that I wouldn't wish on anybody.

I'm not stupid overall, just stupid with the law. I didn't know what I was getting into, nobody did.

If something can be done about this, you have my undivided attention.

Well thanks everyone. Let me give you a tip. If your parents ever call the police on you after decades of trusting them, defend yourself dont be naive as I was. Else you will lose your entire life. Like I am. 5 years is enough of this.

that is DONT defend yourself. Peace everyone.

1. Sponsored Links