Hybrid View

Question What to Do After Forgetting to Make a Payee Report to Social Security

I am a single father of three and have been the designated payee for the last 11 years. This past spring, for whatever reason, I completely forgot to submit the Representative Payee report online. To add to the problem I recall receiving two letters from SS in October/November and in December. I have been so conditioned with my yearly routine I put the envelopes in my tax folder without opening them. Well, this past weekend it all hit me once I sat down to do my taxes. The letters were to notify me I missed my yearly report. The first letter was requesting me to fill out the form and mail back. The second letter was stating I needed to call a certain person at my local office by 1/15/16. So, I called the person in the letter and was only able to get their voicemail. I left a brief message as to the nature of my call but never received a call back. I'm not sure if I will receive a call back since it is well passed 1/15/16.

So, my question is, does anyone have some advice or insight as to what I can expect next?

In previous years I have never missed submitting a report. I have not saved any money for my dependents since my income has never been able to stay ahead of my expenses every year and I do not think I have been spending the money inappropriately.

Did I just open myself up for more scrutiny by SS? Are there any proactive steps I can take or should i just wait to see what the next communication will be from my local SS office?

Thank you in advance for any help or insight.

Cheers.

Default Re: What to Do After Forgetting to Make a Payee Report to Social Security

Fill out the forms. Keep copies. Walk them in to your local office. Take a number. Get a receipt for the submission.

Default Re: What to Do After Forgetting to Make a Payee Report to Social Security

Quote Quoting Janke
    View Post
    Fill out the forms. Keep copies. Walk them in to your local office. Take a number. Get a receipt for the submission.
    Do this ASAP. Tomorrow would be a good time.

1. Sponsored Links