Default Can a Landlord Hold a Tenant Responsible for a Bathtub Leak

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Nevada

Hi Everyone,

So i have a pressing issue that I could use some advice on. I rent a master bedroom in a 2 story house that the landlord rents out to various people (he does not live onsite). My room (with a private bath) is directly above another person renting a room below. At the end of last month the room below mine started developing cracks and leaking water through the ceiling when I use my bath. The roommate contacted the landlord and he instructed me to not use my bath/shower until further notice and I have complied with that. When i asked the landlord when it would be fixed he said he will wait until we both move out (which happens at the end of the month, we voluntarily ended our leases) and that he would not fix the leaking bath issue before then.

In his emails that he has sent to me, he implies that it is my fault and keeps asking "what I did" to cause this issue. I informed him that I did nothing out of the ordinary but he keeps insisting. Now I will be taking him to small claims court after I move out (for many issues during my stay) but I have a feeling that he will take money out of my security deposit for this problem and blame it on me. I believe he has several friends who are plumbers so he might get them to overcharge or make statements that it is my fault somehow. I know I did nothing negligible to cause this problem and I want to protect myself in case he decides to blame it on me and hold it against my security deposit.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to protect myself in this situation? Should I hire plumbers to take a look at it before I move out etc and get written statements? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Default Re: Can a Landlord Hold a Tenant Responsible for a Bathtub Leak

If your landlord improperly withholds part of your security deposit, you can sue for its return in small claims court.

If you want to pay for a plumber to inspect the tub and pinpoint the cause of any water leak, you may do so -- but that money will come out of your pocket.

As a tenant, you are not at all likely to be held responsible for water damage from a leaking bathtub (or shower pan) unless you either did something to cause an overflow or, possibly, if there was water visibly pooling on the floor after your use and you did not inform the landlord of the problem.

1. Sponsored Links