Default How Much Notice Should be Given to Terminate the Tenancy of a Retail Subtenant

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: District of Columbia

I have a sub lease without any Lease agreement. Now the landlord wants me to leave. I am fine with that. But need some more time. She gave me 30 days notice.
    I pay her in cash. I show that in my tax but I am sure she does not show the money she receiving as income. She sent me a signed paper telling me to leave. Is there anything I can do buy me some time?

Default Re: How Much Notice Should be Given to Terminate the Tenancy of a Retail Subtenant

Quote Quoting D.C. Code, Sec. 42–3203. Notice of termination - Tenancies at will.
    A tenancy at will may be terminated by 30 days notice in writing by either landlord or tenant.
    You can negotiate for more time.

Default Re: How Much Notice Should be Given to Terminate the Tenancy of a Retail Subtenant

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You can negotiate for more time.
    Can anything be done for taking cash and not showing it? I wish I could have found the owner of that place. He doesn't want any sub lease. But He is a ghost.

Quote Quoting soumikcha
    View Post
    Can anything be done for taking cash and not showing it?
    Sure. The IRS has a toll free number where you can report tax cheats.

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/How-...ud-Activity%3F

But that's between her and the IRS. Doesn't do you any good other than your satisfaction.

Quote Quoting soumikcha
    View Post
    I wish I could have found the owner of that place. He doesn't want any sub lease. But He is a ghost.
    Doesn't matter.

Wouldn't do you any good to contact the owner either. Your agreement is with her, not the property owner.

By the way, the statute Mr K quoted is for residential rentals, not commercial. But, be that as it may, in the absence of a lease specifying a longer notice period, you are stuck with the thirty days notice.

The following statute addresses the consequences of remaining on the premises beyond the 30 days.

http://law.justia.com/codes/district...16/chapter-15/

Quote Quoting soumikcha
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: District of Columbia

I pay her in cash. I show that in my tax but I am sure she does not show the money she receiving as income.
    And just how you are you “sure” that she is not reporting the rental income? Have you seen her tax returns? Has she ever told you explicitly that she does not include it in income? Just because she took the rent money in cash tells you nothing about how she reports that rent on her return. If you report to the IRS “I paid her in cash and I’m sure she’s not reporting it” but provide nothing to support your claim she’s not reporting it that won’t go very far. Even if the IRS does act, it will take quite awhile for the process to play out, and the IRS will not tell you what happened unless by chance you qualify for a reward for turning her in. The point here is that reporting her isn’t going to do anything to help you stay in the unit longer.

1. Sponsored Links