Default Can a Junior High School Coach Date an 18-Year-Old High School Student

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio.

Sorry if my post is in the wrong place. I am curious if there are any consequences or penalties of a young Jr. High School Coach, age 21, to dating a student age 18 of a different school district. I have heard of teachers being imprisoned and coaches for being with an adult high school student, but in this case the coach is not a teacher or high school coach at the students high school. I can't find the answer anywhere, thanks.

Default Re: Ohio Laws on Coaches Dating Students

Don't. Just don't. It's better to let that fish get away. Lots of them in the sea.

Quote Quoting Slidebye
    View Post

Sorry if my post is in the wrong place. I am curious if there are any consequences or penalties of a young Jr. High School Coach, age 21, to dating a student age 18 of a different school district. I have heard of teachers being imprisoned and coaches for being with an adult high school student, but in this case the coach is not a teacher or high school coach at the students high school. I can't find the answer anywhere, thanks.
    That essentially makes them no different from you and I - that is, two consenting adults.

Two consenting adults who have no legal obligation to stay away from each other, to clarify.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    That essentially makes them no different from you and I - that is, two consenting adults.

Two consenting adults who have no legal obligation to stay away from each other, to clarify.
    That may be true, but there is always perception. If people even get wind that this person is dating a student, even if that student is of legal age and at another school district, he/she could suffer damage to his(her) professional reputation. Would it hurt to wait until this student has graduated?

Quote Quoting Slidebye
    View Post

The answers are found in Ohio Revised Code (ORC) section 2907.03. In that section, the crime of sexual battery includes, among other situations:

• A teacher, coach, administrator, or other employee of any school subject to regulation by the state board of education engaging in sexual conduct with any student of that school, regardless of age, unless the teacher, coach, etc., is also a student of that school.
    • A teacher, coach, administrator or other employee of an institution of higher learning (i.e. college or university) engaging in sexual conduct with a minor student attending that institution.
    • Any coach or trainer engaging in sexual conduct with a minor trainee of the coach/trainer.

It therefore appears that if the student is age 18 or older then a sexual relationship with that student will only amount to sexual battery if the student attends the same high school for which you coach. But even if the relationship doesn’t violate the law on sexual battery it might still violate the rules your employer has and might result in some kind of discipline against you, including termination. How long until she graduates? If she graduates in May, it might be good to hold off on a sexual relationship until then.

You can read all of Ohio’s sex crime laws in ORC Chapter 2907.

Default Re: Can a Junior High School Coach Date an 18-Year-Old High School Student

It is against the law in Ohio for a coach to have sex with a high school student. And there are other issues as well.

ETA: Missed you were in another school. What was quoted above. But don't.

1. Sponsored Links