Default How are Days Counted for Responding to a Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington

This might seem obvious to a bunch of people on here, but it's turned out to be critical to me.

How does a court count days in "respond within fifteen (15) days from the date issued..." Does 15 days include the day of the issue, or start on the next day? (I'm already assuming weekends are counted.)

If you miss this timeline and there are mitigating circumstances, is there a format for addressing the court about that?

Default Re: Respond Within Fifteen (15) Days

Computation of time is explained in Superior Court Civil Rule 6(a)
    Quote Quoting CR 6 (a)
    Computation. In computing any period of time prescribed or allowed by these rules, by the local rules of any superior court, by order of court, or by any applicable statute, the day of the act, event, or default from which the designated period of time begins to run shall not be included. The last day of the period so computed shall be included, unless it is a Saturday, a Sunday or a legal holiday, in which event the period runs until the end of the next day which is neither a Saturday, a Sunday nor a legal holiday. Legal holidays are prescribed in RCW 1.16.050. When the period of time prescribed or allowed is less than 7 days, intermediate Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays shall be excluded in the computation.
    So in other words your postmark date is day zero, and if the court is closed on day 15 then it’s due the next day the court is open.

If you’ve missed the timeline it depends on how much you missed it by and whether a default finding has been entered. Have you received any mail from the court? If there’s a finding of “committed” you would probably need to file a motion asking to set it aside but I would speak to a clerk first.

edit

My reference above to “postmark date” should actually be “ticket issue date”.

Day of the infraction doesn't count, nor do weekends or holidays.

The way Washington infraction law works is that there is a default of committed entered against you. The option to contest the charge is the generally only means to get that default finding overturned to not committed. Deferral allows you to get the finding tossed as well, but the terms by which you must abide can and do vary from court to court .

Thanks!

My reference above to “postmark date” should actually be “ticket issue date”.
    Thanks for that clarification

1. Sponsored Links