Default Should You File a Complaint With the EEOC Over a Weak Discrimination Complaint

As far as making a complaint to the EEOC, from the standpoint of a person who has been in the system and worked with a lot of these federal agencies, it isn't really a waste of the taxayer's resources to file a claim if you think there's any sort of discrimination to be found and want an answer. They get paid exactly the same and do the same _
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    there are only so many investigators to go around. The more they have to deal with baseless complaints the less time they have to deal with valid complaints.

in fact if they had fewer complaints altogether they could lay off some workers and maybe save me a buck or two on my taxes

a waste of resources ultimately costs somebody money.3

Default Re: Recently Released from Job; 60 Years Old; Possible Discrimination

Quote Quoting comment/ator
    View Post

As far as making a complaint to the EEOC, it isn't really a waste of the taxayer's resources to file a claim if you think there's any sort of discrimination to be found and want an answer.
    It is important to understand that the EEOC does not in most cases give you an opinion on whether illegal discrimination occurred. What the EEOC does is shift though the cases to try to find those that it is willing to litigate itself on behalf of the affected employee(s). It picks only a small percentage of the complaints it receives to really investigate and an even smaller number of them to litigate. Any case that it will not litigate itself it just sends a right to sue letter out to the employee. The right to sue letter does not mean the EEOC thinks illegal discrimination occurred. All it means is that the EEOC didn’t want to pursue the case itself. So getting the right to sue letter does not really tell you anything about the strength of your claim. So, if all you want is an answer, the EEOC complaint likely won’t give you that. Ultimately you’d need to consult an employment law attorney who litigates illegal discrimination claims to review the case and give you an opinion on whether there is something worth pursuing or not.

That is not to say that filing a charge with the EEOC is not worthwhile. Before you may sue for illegal discrimination under the ADEA you must file a timely complaint with the EEOC. I suggest you first consult a lawyer to see if the lawyer thinks there is something to pursue. If there is, then the attorney can draft the complaint for the EEOC. This helps ensure you don’t unknowingly say something in your complaint that could hurt you later in a lawsuit.

And quite frankly, I have something of a problem with people who want to submit a claim to the EEOC just in case, or to get their boss in trouble, or to take a slap at the company. Like most if not all Federal agencies, they are understaffed and overworked and the more people who try to use them as a way to take revenge, that's just that much more time and energy taken away from the folks who really do have discrimination or harassment issues.

The thing is, yes, some people are butts who would file all sorts of complaints right off the bat, they rarely check even with an internet forum before flying off in all directions to try to cause trouble. The agencies deal with these people on a constant basis, and we won't get rid of them.

But a lot of people who may have a genuine EEOC complaint do not have the resources or life skills to see an employment law attorney before they file such a complaint and make sure it falls into the category of valid. Like wage and hour, these people are the gatekeepers to the federal system, it is their job, and even if they got only claims that had been predetermined to be valid, they'd still need to be there (and be fully staffed!) In my experience, only the intervention of agencies such as this keeps us from falling back into the Dark Ages when in comes to employment practice.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Maybe, but I do not think that it hurts to try...not with the facts as presented here. Even if the age discrimination went no where, it might end up making the higher ups take a strong look at the manager who favors the employees who hang out and drink with him vs those who might have equal or better performance who do not.
    Exactly my thinking.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    And quite frankly, I have something of a problem with people who want to submit a claim to the EEOC just in case, or to get their boss in trouble, or to take a slap at the company.
    Shouldn't surprise you that I have no such problem with that.

No, that doesn't surprise me at all, Jack. I'm quite certain that you're okay with people who do have legitimate claims having to wait longer to get justice as long as people who don't have them get a chance to take a slap at their employers.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Shouldn't surprise you that I have no such problem with that.
    I’m not surprised you don’t have a problem with people making efforts to get revenge on their employers given your very strong anti-employer bias. I am a bit surprised you are willing to pay the higher taxes it takes for the federal government to be the agent of that revenge for others. Maybe you think that’s a fine expenditure of federal funds, but I don’t.

^^^^^Like

I absolutely believe that if we did not have the federal government monitoring the state systems, and enforcing the laws there would be disaster. In my experience the smaller and more local the agency that is supposed to do the enforcement, the more easily they are bribed and persuaded by the golden rule, you know, "He who has the gold makes the rules" and "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" and "I'll just call my uncle, the governor about this!" And if all people were not free to contact these agencies directly, could not get to these agencies without going through their employers and/or the state systems, there would be little chance of any EEOC violations being enforced, OSHA regs being followed and Wage and Hour laws would be broken freely and with abandon.

However, this does open the door for people who want to jack with a particular employer because they are mad at them, or who truly do not understand the laws and think they have a case, or who don't care, just are going to file it. And by the nature of the agency, they will always be receiving a lot of claims like this. Think how many wrongful termination questions are received by forums like this. Think how many people are out there who didn't bother to check before they filed with the EEOC. As I said, it goes with the nature of the agency that they get a bunch of complaints without merit. But I am still very glad they are there.

comment/ator;936474]I absolutely believe that if we did not have the federal government monitoring the state systems, and enforcing the laws there would be disaster.
    I don't think anybody said anything contrary.

if all people were not free to contact these agencies directly, could not get to these agencies without going through their employers and/or the state systems, there would be little chance of any EEOC violations being enforced, OSHA regs being followed and Wage and Hour laws would be broken freely and with abandon.
    Ok and your point?

However, this does open the door for people who want to jack with a particular employer because they are mad at them, or who truly do not understand the laws and think they have a case, or who don't care, just are going to file it. And by the nature of the agency, they will always be receiving a lot of claims like this.
    ok but what does that have to do with suggesting a person file simple because there are people at that office every day and that is what they do? Suggesting a person file simply because they can is irresponsible. We have to pay for that investigation and while nobody will ever stop the complaints made without any basis, suggesting a person file simply because "that's what they are there for" is wasting MY MONEY. Stop wasting my money.

I don't suggest telling a person to not file if they believe there is a basis to the claim or if anybody with some sense believes there may be but dammit, don't file "just because you can" and that is what your statement has come across as.

But I am still very glad they are there
    and again, I saw nothing posted to the contrary.

1. Sponsored Links