Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why Not Simply Obey the Speed Limit

Of course, we could avoid the whole issue by simply driving within the limits...

Default Re: Getting a Ticket Dismissed Based on an Inadequate Foundation for Radar

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Of course, we could avoid the whole issue by simply driving within the limits...
    Well, sure, but we are all here to make certain the officers and the prosecutor are doing it right. I refuse to pay the state a penny when they cannot do their jobs on simple stuff. If everyone forced their hand they would clean up their act, but unfortunately they are intentionally lazy in Washington.

Default Re: Getting a Ticket Dismissed Based on an Inadequate Foundation for Radar

Quote Quoting Speedy Gonzalez
    View Post
    Well, sure, but we are all here to make certain the officers and the prosecutor are doing it right. I refuse to pay the state a penny when they cannot do their jobs on simple stuff.
    Well said.

And they wouldn't have to do anything at all if people obeyed the speed limits.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    And they wouldn't have to do anything at all if people obeyed the speed limits.
    So you are advocating that police officers/traffic enforcement are not necessary in a perfect world? Why is it you frequent this site if not to help yourself/others to do exactly what I stated?

Well, in a really perfect world they wouldn't be, would they?

Personally, I frequent this site primarily to answer questions about basic employment law. Occasionally I branch out and on those occasions, I have been known, as on this occasion, to suggest that people wouldn't have to worry about how to beat a traffic ticket, or a shoplifting charge, if they simply obeyed the law in the first place.

Evidently you have a problem with such reminders. I wonder what that says about you. Well, really, I don't wonder.

If the mods of the board also have a problem with such reminders, they are free to tell me so or even ban me from posting. So far, they have not.

So if you don't mind, or even if you do, I will continue to make such comments when I find it appropriate until the mods object.

Well, you know, they want to break the law, but then cost the taxpayers more money by fighting it, raising the need for more money in the government. It's a vicious circle. Like shoplifters, they end up costing everyone more, whether they want to admit it or not.

I do family law.

And sometimes, when I'm feeling brave, during a full moon, I may find myself answering the Immigration questions.

In my ... lemme see ... how old am I now? 37 +tax ... many years as a driver, I have never once gotten a speeding ticket. And I used to brave the Blue Route every day (unless I was taking I-95 which is only marginally worse than driving on the Autobahn).

Default Re: Why Not Simply Obey the Speed Limit

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    True enough, but I daresay that the number of drivers who have never exceeded the speed limits is perhaps not much greater than the number who have won the big jackpot in the lottery. A lot of people (probably a large majority of them) have gone “with the flow” of traffic and ended up speeding on a fairly regular basis. I see this all the time — hundreds of motorists exceeding the speed limit together. I’ve done it myself, going 10-15 mph over the limit on some roads fairly frequently. It’s not hard to do and it’s easy to lose track of exactly what the limit is on each part of the varied roads I travel. Still, in many years of driving, I have had only one speeding ticket. So, to me hearing someone say he never got a ticket does not mean that he is a saint who never speeds but rather more likely someone who has likely exceeded the speed limit but has just never been ticketed for it. Or put another way, my BS detector goes off in a big way when some claims to always drive within the speed limit. Even my grandmother, careful driver that she was, didn't always drive the speed limit. I doubt anyone else has managed that feat either.

In any event, when a ticket is given, there is nothing wrong with a person contesting the ticket if there is any good basis for the challenge, even if the challenge is based on errors or omissions of the officer. It’s all fair game. Officers and prosecutors are expected to play by the rules, too, and when they don’t there are consequences to the state for it, as it should be.

Default Re: Why Not Simply Obey the Speed Limit

And I'm not saying otherwise. WHEN there is a good basis for a challenge.

However, I do get a wee bit tired of people who think that they should be immune from the consequences of their own actions. If they were willing to put half the effort into watching the speed limits (in this particular case - it's not always traffic) as they put into evading the consequences, it would be a whole lot easier on us all.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast