Default Bond Company Won't Release Guarantor from a Bail Bond

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Texas

I signed the bond to for my ex-girlfriend. She has moved away, has stolen from me, is dissing me in social media, has called the bondsman saying don't let me off the bond for because I'm only doing it for personal reasons. I have pending lawsuits against her for credit card abuse. After I signed the bond my ex left to live with another guy who signed the bond as a co-signer. The Bondsman says I can't be released because I signed a contract with them and the second co-signer on the bond was not qualified. What should I do?

Default Re: I Want to Be Released from Bond but Bondsman Says No

You signed the bond for the ex-girlfriend. You should not have done that if you weren’t really willing to stand behind the bond and pay it if the girlfriend fails to appear in court as required. If you knew she was a deadbeat, etc., before signing the bond then you really have no one to blame but yourself for doing this. Even if all her bad behavior only was evident after you broke up (and that kind of sudden turn around is not all that common) she was charged with a crime which should have given you pause. It suggests there was some kind of issue there. In any event, you cannot force the bondsperson to release you from the obligation and the bondsperson would be foolish to let a guarantor go and lose a possible avenue to recover the bond amount should your ex default.

Thank you for the reply. I didn't know that she would move far away and make it impossible for me to know where she is to make sure she shows up for court. I hope a judge might give me relief. I guess there isn't any established procedure then in matters like this?

You are not understanding this at all.

The bondsman has nothing to do with the court and a judge cannot release you from your contract.

Given it appearss she has or intends on absconding I would start figuring out how you are going to repay the bondsman as it appears likely the court will call the bail due.

Quote Quoting cdcw
    View Post
    I guess there isn't any established procedure then in matters like this?
    Sure there is. It's just not a procedure that favors you. If she doesn't show up then the court can forfeit the bond money the bondsman posted for your ex-girlfriend. The bond company can try to employ an agent in some states (the “bounty hunter”) to find her and bring her back in an effort to get that bond money back. If the bond company doesn't get back the bond money it posted it will look to you to pay up for it based on your guarantee of the bond. The court has nothing to do with that. That is a contract between you and the bail bond firm. Think if of it like guaranteeing a credit card bill of your ex. If your ex doesn't pay the credit card bill the bank goes after you. No judge is going to tell the bank (or bail bond firm) to release you from the obligation you signed up for just because you later realize she's a deadbeat who won’t meet her obligations.

1. Sponsored Links