Default Neighbor is Plowing Snow Across the Street Onto Our Property

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Connecticut

I saw another post similar to this that has been closed. Here is my issue. Neighbor across the street has a dirt and rock driveway and I have asked over the past 15 years that he please have his plow guy not push the snow across the street. The reason for this other than it is against the law is I end up with a huge mess in front of my house. Whenever. Would low my driveway never once did I push the snow across the street. I would push it to the edge of the driveway and then up the street on my side of the street clearing all snow from the roadway. Last night I get home and see once again that his plow guy pushed the snow along with the dirt and rock across the street after I asked hm not to two days prior.

Thanks

Default Re: Snow Being Pushed Across the Street

if you believe what he is doing is in fact illegal, your first call should be to the police...well, other than some effort to resolve this with the neighbor first, which it appears you have already done. So, have you contacted the police?

Beyond that, how has this damaged you? If this is nothing more than a nuisance to you, it's one of those things that are better resolved by ignoring it rather than trying to change it.

I used to have the same problem. The bigger question is whether he's dumping it on the right of way or on your property. Still can't see the police getting involved either way.

You're right about it being a nuisance more than anything but at the end of the winter I have a huge mess of dirt and rocks to up in front of my house so that is where the frustration comes in. Last night I let my frustration get the best of me and starting throwing the snow and rock back.to his side of the road until another neighbor called him and he came down and staring threatening me and swings a yard tool at me. Called the police and I told them I was not looking for anyone to get in trouble. That I just wanted the plowing in front of my house to stop and they agreed. We will see what happens next storm but I'm guessing more of the same since their plow guys keep quiting because they don't want plow the snow into the road and just push to his side of the road. If his driveway was asphalt and it was just snow I wouldn't care how much snow was plowed.

Ok so you do have damages; the cost (or value) of cleaning up the rocks and such

unless it is such an extreme amount you need something more than a shovel and a wheelbarrow, it is not likely to be worth bothering with.

do NOT throw anything back into his yard. That is actually just as improper as him pushing it onto your property. It is considered yours for the situation so you could be charged with the same trespass (and actually it could involve the exact same rock) as he is liable for by pushing it onto your property.

have you actually asked if he will clean up the mess once the snow melts?

barring his agreement to do that, you are pretty much limited to either just cleaning it up yourself and biting your lip or suing him for either injunctive relief (seeking an order he actually clean up the stuff) or monetary damages (the actual cost of the clean up).

I wholly understand your situation though. I too live in a snowy area and your complaint is common around here.

while I loathe the rocks in the yard thing, what bothers me more is when the plow drivers leave trails of snow or ice across the road. That is illegal in any state I am aware of but more importantly, it is a safety hazard. It has caused more than once accident around here and the plow driver and/or the home owner can be held liable for the resulting damages.

I appreciate your reply and I agree with you that I should just bite my lip and just clean it up myself and let it go. Like I said last night my frustration got the best of me.

Thanks

so how about making snowmen to use up some of the pent up angst? A couple dozen of these might take your mind off the issue for awhile.

1. Sponsored Links