Default Can Animal Control Enter Your House Without Permission to Check on an Animal

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Michigan, Kent county

I left my home last night. I came home to find a note that animal control had responded to a call that I left my dog alone for more then 24 hours. I entered my house to find my dog was released from his kennel, feed and watered. And the trash was all over the place.
    I called 911.
    A police officer call to inform me he responded to the call. When he arrived he called animal control.
    Animal control proceeded to check my house. They found an unlocked door, and informed the police officer that he was going to enter to check on the well-being of the dog.
    Do they have the right to enter my house? I was not gone for 24 hours so the caller was lying. It probably the neighbors who feed my dog scarp food over the fence. Leaving glass bowls for my dog to chew in. Braking them leaving glass all over my yard.

What should I do about aco entering my house, the police won't let me file a breaking and entering report.

Default Re: Animal Control Entered Property. Came in My House when in Was Not Home

I suggest that you call Kent County animal control and find out exactly what was reported and why they entered your house. The animal control regulations does say you cannot leave an animal unattended for more than 24 hours.

(c) Unattended Animals. No animal shall be without attention for more than twenty four hours. Whenever a commercial animal facility is left unattended, the name, address and telephone number of the owner of the facility and the person responsible for the care of animals shall be posted in a conspicuous place at the front of the facility.
    You may yet receive a citation or notice of violation that you will have to deal with.

Default Re: Animal Control Entered Property. Came in My House when in Was Not Home

I would be asking the police why they allowed someone to enter your home without your authorization. The AC laws in your county are pretty vague, but nowhere do I see that they may enter a home without a warrant.

https://www.accesskent.com/Health/An...egulations.pdf

I'd be at the police station following the chain of command up, and finding out if there is any situation which would allow this.

When I worked for an AC facility in FL, all the officers could do was leave a notice, and wait for a reply. 24 hrs after placing the notice, they could attempt to get a warrant to confiscate an animal, if it was outside. They needed a police warrant and an officer present to enter a building.

Yes, different state. But the FL county had regulations which required much higher level of care (such as food or water available at all times), and they couldn't just walk into a home, even one that was unlocked.

After finding out what the police have to say, I'd be at AC, and requesting a meeting with both the officer and the Director (who seems to be the head of it all).

And either video your neighbor throwing anything over your fence, or a trail cam to do the same.

Does neighbor have police/AC connections?

Default Re: Can Animal Control Enter Your House Without Permission to Check on an Animal

So far I don’t see that there is anything for you to do other than complaining to the head of the animal control agency. You complained to the police already and they declined to take any action on it, which is within their discretion. Even if the entry was not authorized it appears that you suffered no damages (other than having to spend a little time cleaning up trash) so there really isn’t anything sue for. And so far you apparently have not been cited for any violation. Not everything that seems wrong or that upsets you has a legal remedy, and I’m afraid this appears to be one that so far gives you no remedy.

Quote Quoting Catmad
    View Post
    I would be asking the police why they allowed someone to enter your home without your authorization.
    The same warrant requirements would apply here as would apply with any other government entry. The most obvious warrant exception that could be argued would be exigent circumstances, which in this case might (or might not) be supported by the animal noises coming from the home. But absent something pretty alarming at the scene, the animal control officer should have obtained a search warrant before entering the home. If there's a written report from the incident, perhaps it explains the basis for the animal control officer's decision to enter without a warrant.

Default Re: Can Animal Control Enter Your House Without Permission to Check on an Animal

Quote Quoting Kevin Willbur
    View Post

What should I do
    Lock your doors when you leave the house and stop blaming everybody else.

1. Sponsored Links