My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Georgia
I was pulled over two days ago for expired tags and when the officer ran my plate it came back that my tags had been cancelled. I had no idea what he was talking about. Nonetheless, my car was towed and I was issued two citations. One for expired tags (my fault on this. Department of Revenue no longer sends reminders and I spaced on it in Nov.) and one for driving with cancelled tags.
After many hours on the phone with the local tag office, the central office in Atlanta, my insurance company and my car dealer here is what transpired. I've delineated the facts known to me and what I was told.
Facts known to me
1. Traded in a Nissan Pathfinder and bought a Nissan Murano on 12/26/14
2. Went to the local tag office on 1/12 and paid $5 to transfer the tag from the Pathfinder to the Murano.
3. Insurance for Pathfinder expired on 1/12 (Geico) and the Murano's insurance started on 1/13 (AllState)
4. The local tag office said the cancellation was coded in a way that said it came from Atlanta. They denied having sent me the form.
5. The dealer title person said they did not send the form.
What I was told and sent
1. I was told this by the first DOR representative which was later denied by a supervisor. She said that on 2/12 I was sent a Form MV-18J Application for Voluntary Registration Cancellation to fill out and send to the Department of Revenue. I filled it out and sent it back. The supervisor denies that they send out these forms. I asked: "Who would have sent it?" and he said he didn't know. The representative also said I had a lapse in insurance which I knew was wrong and the supervisor said I didn't have a lapse in insurance.
2. The supervisor called me and explained that the tags transfer with the vehicle and that when I sent in this form it cancelled the tag on the Murano. I still don't understand how this is the case since I paid a $5 tag transfer fee. I remember this because I had to go to the local tag office to do so.
3. I asked the supervisor to provide proof that I sent this form in. I also asked him: "What vehicle is listed on the form?" He said "It is the Pathfinder." When I challenged him on why someone would cancel my tags from a form where I listed a car I no longer owned he said he was not going to go back and forth with me and was going to hang up.
4. He did send me the form via email that was received by DOR on 3/1/15 and I filled out. I have absolutely no recollection of filling out this form. None. The only thing I can figure is that I got the form and thought it pertained to the Pathfinder in some way. Honestly, I've bought and sold many cars in my life and I've never had this issue. However, this is the first time I've done so in Georgia.
5. I asked him for his manager's name and number and he did give it to me. So I will carry on because I do not understand what in the world is going on.
Edit w/ additional info: when I sent in the form the reason I checked for voluntary cancellation was that I sold the vehicle on 12/26/14. Clearly, I thought the form was related to the Pathfinder and not my new car. I also put Pathfinder at the top with the VIN.
My biggest question: who would have sent me a Form MV-18J Application for Voluntary Registration Cancellation to fill out and send to the Department of Revenue? If the central DOR, the local tag office, my insurance company and my car dealer did NOT send me the form, the only other choices are a) another entity or b) I downloaded the form and sent it in (not possible). I guess there is a third which is that someone messed up and is lying.
Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!