Default Who Would Send You an Application for Voluntary Registration Cancellation Form

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Georgia

Hello!

I was pulled over two days ago for expired tags and when the officer ran my plate it came back that my tags had been cancelled. I had no idea what he was talking about. Nonetheless, my car was towed and I was issued two citations. One for expired tags (my fault on this. Department of Revenue no longer sends reminders and I spaced on it in Nov.) and one for driving with cancelled tags.

After many hours on the phone with the local tag office, the central office in Atlanta, my insurance company and my car dealer here is what transpired. I've delineated the facts known to me and what I was told.

Facts known to me

1. Traded in a Nissan Pathfinder and bought a Nissan Murano on 12/26/14
    2. Went to the local tag office on 1/12 and paid $5 to transfer the tag from the Pathfinder to the Murano.
    3. Insurance for Pathfinder expired on 1/12 (Geico) and the Murano's insurance started on 1/13 (AllState)
    4. The local tag office said the cancellation was coded in a way that said it came from Atlanta. They denied having sent me the form.
    5. The dealer title person said they did not send the form.

What I was told and sent
    1. I was told this by the first DOR representative which was later denied by a supervisor. She said that on 2/12 I was sent a Form MV-18J Application for Voluntary Registration Cancellation to fill out and send to the Department of Revenue. I filled it out and sent it back. The supervisor denies that they send out these forms. I asked: "Who would have sent it?" and he said he didn't know. The representative also said I had a lapse in insurance which I knew was wrong and the supervisor said I didn't have a lapse in insurance.
    2. The supervisor called me and explained that the tags transfer with the vehicle and that when I sent in this form it cancelled the tag on the Murano. I still don't understand how this is the case since I paid a $5 tag transfer fee. I remember this because I had to go to the local tag office to do so.
    3. I asked the supervisor to provide proof that I sent this form in. I also asked him: "What vehicle is listed on the form?" He said "It is the Pathfinder." When I challenged him on why someone would cancel my tags from a form where I listed a car I no longer owned he said he was not going to go back and forth with me and was going to hang up.
    4. He did send me the form via email that was received by DOR on 3/1/15 and I filled out. I have absolutely no recollection of filling out this form. None. The only thing I can figure is that I got the form and thought it pertained to the Pathfinder in some way. Honestly, I've bought and sold many cars in my life and I've never had this issue. However, this is the first time I've done so in Georgia.
    5. I asked him for his manager's name and number and he did give it to me. So I will carry on because I do not understand what in the world is going on.

Edit w/ additional info: when I sent in the form the reason I checked for voluntary cancellation was that I sold the vehicle on 12/26/14. Clearly, I thought the form was related to the Pathfinder and not my new car. I also put Pathfinder at the top with the VIN.

My biggest question: who would have sent me a Form MV-18J Application for Voluntary Registration Cancellation to fill out and send to the Department of Revenue? If the central DOR, the local tag office, my insurance company and my car dealer did NOT send me the form, the only other choices are a) another entity or b) I downloaded the form and sent it in (not possible). I guess there is a third which is that someone messed up and is lying.

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Confused About Voluntary Registration Form

Your problem is that you have a copy of the form, in your hand, that you filled out cancelling the tags on the Murano, right?

Nothing else matters.

By the way, based on your post, you were driving the Murano without insurance on the Murano from the day you bought it 12/26/14 until 1/13/15.

Yes, I understand that I have the form and I filled it out. What I'm trying to figure out is who sent it to me to fill out. I know it sounds like a small detail but it doesn't make any sense to me as to why I even got the form in the first place. I know I didn't download it and fill it out so... I'd also like to see the accompanying letter, that came with the form, to understand the context. What I thought I was filling out was different than what it was meant for - the Pathfinder, not the Murano. Remember that I did a tag transfer so in my mind I was simply verifying that information via a form I received two months after I did the tag transfer. It isn't really a blame game but more about knowing where the process got off track.

No, I wasn't driving the Murano w/out insurance.Good catch. That was my error. Geico picked up the Murano until 1/12 and then I switched to AllState on 1/13.

I might be splitting hairs but when I look at the form I filled out I wasn't canceling tags on the Murano; I was canceling tags on the Pathfinder. I put Pathfinder and its date of manufacture and its VIN into the appropriate lines and then I checked the box that it was sold on 12/26/14.

I'm puzzled as to how that error wasn't caught. My point being that there is a purpose to asking for the name, date of manufacture and VIN and why you're canceling the tags so the differing info (from the tag transfer) should have shown on a data entry screen.

FYI..I'm not arguing with what you're saying. I filled out a form. You're right about that. Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out who sent it to me and for what purpose. I'm curious like that. ;-)

Quote Quoting GA Driver
    View Post
    Yes, I understand that I have the form and I filled it out. What I'm trying to figure out is who sent it to me to fill out. I know it sounds like a small detail but it doesn't make any sense to me as to why I even got the form in the first place.
    It's also not making sense to me either.

Earlier, you wrote:

Quote Quoting GA Driver
    View Post

2. Went to the local tag office on 1/12 and paid $5 to transfer the tag from the Pathfinder to the Murano.
    If, by "tag," you mean license plate, it seems to me that submitting the form:

http://dor.georgia.gov/sites/dor.geo...m_MV_18J_0.pdf

Would have cancelled the "registration" for any car with that license plate on it. Hence, the cancellation (albeit inadvertently) of the Murano registration was the result.

Quote Quoting GA Driver
    View Post

No, I wasn't driving the Murano w/out insurance.Good catch. That was my error. Geico picked up the Murano until 1/12 and then I switched to AllState on 1/13.
    OK, good.

Quote Quoting GA Driver
    View Post

I might be splitting hairs but when I look at the form I filled out I wasn't canceling tags on the Murano; I was canceling tags on the Pathfinder. I put Pathfinder and its date of manufacture and its VIN into the appropriate lines and then I checked the box that it was sold on 12/26/14.
    But you also put the license plate number on the form and that license plate was on the Murano.

Quote Quoting GA Driver
    View Post

I'm puzzled as to how that error wasn't caught. My point being that there is a purpose to asking for the name, date of manufacture and VIN and why you're canceling the tags so the differing info (from the tag transfer) should have shown on a data entry screen.
    Oh, I can tell you why it wasn't caught. Some overworked civil service clerk found it faster to key in license plate numbers instead of a VIN and just pushed the cancel key without even looking at what came up on the screen, or just didn't care, and then went on to the next.

Quote Quoting GA Driver
    View Post

FYI..I'm not arguing with what you're saying. I filled out a form. You're right about that. Ultimately, I'm trying to figure out who sent it to me and for what purpose. I'm curious like that. ;-)
    You might never know.

All I can suggest is that you plead not guilty and raise the confusing form as your defense. Might as well plead not guilty to the other one and maybe get a plea bargain where one gets dismissed and you just pay on the other.

1. Sponsored Links