Default Does a Minor's Survivor Benefit Increase when a Parent's Widow Benefit Ends

I currently receive widows benefits due to my husbands death. My daughter receives survivors benefits. She will be 16 in a few months. I will be 55. I know when she turns 16 my widow benefit stops. When my benefit stops, will she receive my share that I will lose, therefore increasing her survivor benefit?

Default Re: Does a Minor's Survivor Benefit Increase when a Parent's Widow Benefit Ends

And what does Social Security say when you ask them about your specific situation?

Default Re: Does a Minor's Survivor Benefit Increase when a Parent's Widow Benefit Ends

Read this. If you were receiving a 75% benefit as a widow caring for a child below the age of 16, and your dependent child (presumably an only child) was receiving a 75% benefit, then your child is receiving the maximum benefit she can receive.

Quote Quoting pacfan1900
    View Post
    I currently receive widows benefits due to my husbands death. My daughter receives survivors benefits. She will be 16 in a few months. I will be 55. I know when she turns 16 my widow benefit stops. When my benefit stops, will she receive my share that I will lose, therefore increasing her survivor benefit?
    No, she will not. She will continue to receive her benefits until she is 18 or graduates from high school but the widows benefits will stop and will not be offset elsewhere. If you were married for at least 10 years before your husband's death you will eventually be eligible for retirement benefits on his account if that would produce a greater result than your own account, otherwise you need to plan for your future at this point.

I thought the 10 year rule only applied if there was a divorce before his death. We were married at the time of his death. Only 4 years, but I believe you only have to be married for 9 months in order to be eligible to collect on his retirement account. If Im wrong please let me know.

I called my local office about 8 times today and previous days. The recording says all agents are busy, call back and then the call ends. Im not even put on hold, just cut off.

Quote Quoting comment/ator
    View Post
    And what does Social Security say when you ask them about your specific situation?
    I called my local office about 8 times today and previous days. The recording says all agents are busy, call back and then the call ends. Im not even put on hold, just cut off.

The 10 years does only apply to Divorced Spouses. If you become disabled before you reach Full Retiremnt Age, you can also receive benefits off of your husbands record as long as the disability started before his death or within 7 years of his death. You will have to be unmarried, unless you are 60 or 50 and disabled. You can receive Early Retirement at age 60 off of his records, but that would be reduced for the rest of your life.

If You Are The Worker's Widow Or Widower-
    https://www.socialsecurity.gov/plann...rs/ifyou2.html

Thank you everyone! My questions were answered

1. Sponsored Links