Default What Happens if You Withdraw a Request for Reconsideration

Did not get good news when I made my daily call to the local ss office. I asked again how much longer the initial determination would take on the reconsideration for over the limit resources. She said that it could take 12 to 18 more months! I'm mad because we were just there a few weeks ago and the worker said it should not take more than 30 days. My son cannot go that long without therapy. What will happen if I withdraw the appeal?

Default Re: Withdrawing Request for Reconsideration

Quote Quoting alxstr02
    View Post
    What will happen if I withdraw the appeal?
    Then the appeal ends, the prior decision will stand, and your son will not get the Social Security benefits you sought. I suggest that calling every day was not a good idea. That’s the sort of thing that can tick off the workers and that can cause you to suffer delays and other problems. Appeals take time and you do get notified of the decision when the decision gets made. Calling every day isn’t going to speed that up.

Of course the request for withdrawal could take as long as the decision on the merits of the case. It is a matter of priorities. One thing that happens in many SSA offices is that claims reps are pulled from their claims processing adjudication to answer the overflow phone calls so calling every day means at least one employee has to stop working on cases and start answering the phone calls. Yes, you are just one person. But there are others like you who call all the time.

If you withdraw and the SSI does not get reinstated, then you will have to pay back the overpayment on a monthly basis and if you don't manage to do it, it will be collected from your adult son if he ever gets re-entitled to benefits or from his tax refund if he ever gets one. I really like to see that parents volunteer for more than 10% withholding so that overpayment recovery doesn't extend past the child's 18th birthday. But SSA cannot enforce that. Although if there is fraud, SSA can enforce 100% withholding.

It's not the ssi Im most concerned with, it's his medicaid. I would gladly tell them to take 100% if it would get the initial determination done, but this won't happen. I will give it 30 more days just like the case worker said.

1. Sponsored Links