Default Can You Get Arrested on a Bench Warrant After Paying Off Child Support Arrears

My question involves child support in the State of: Michigan

A bench warrant was issued in April 2015. Since then I have moved out of state. I have paid my arrears in full in June. I want to visit my son in Michigan, but believe my ex will try to have me arrested even though I am now current on my child support payments. If I go to Friend of Court to address this matter, can they put me in jail until I go in front of a judge? Is there a way to get the warrant dropped without appearing in front of a judge and/or going to FOC? I spoke with my case worker at FOC, who gave me the name of someone to call about this warrant. I call several times, left messages, but never received a return call. I'm afraid they'll put me in jail. I can't afford a lawyer.

Default Re: Can You Get Arrested on a Bench Warrant After Paying Off Child Support Arrears

Paid your arrears how?

To whom or what?

Got receipts or documentation of payment?

Did you file a motion to quash the warrant and submit the documentation? Apparently not.

I don't think you actually have to go to court to get that done.

However, before you do anything I suggest checking your case file to see if it's been updated. Start with the online docket but you might have to order copies of the case file from the records department.

If there's no mention of the payoff or the cancelling of the warrant, you'll have to file a motion with the court along with your documentation, send a copy of the motion to your ex, and wait for the court to respond before you risk going to Michigan.

The answer to the question in the title of your post is, yes, you can get arrested if the bench warrant hasn't been cancelled.

1. Sponsored Links