Default Caught Shoplifting After Trying to Run Away from the Store

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Arizona

I am 18 years old and was caught stealing from JcPenny. I was walking out of the store with $100 worth of merchandise. I was confronted by an LP and asked to come inside, but instead I decided to run for it. I ran as far as I could thinking it was safe and unfortunately was picked up by a police officer who was out looking for another group of shoplifters from the same store. When I saw the police officer, I gave myself up and confronted him myself about the situation, unaware he was not specifically looking for me. Anyhow, I was caught and taken back to JcPenny's detainment room. Signed their paperwork, gave back the items and left with my citation. How should I proceed in order to best prepare myself for court? Should I consult a lawyer? Should I go in solo and admit my wrong doings? Or should I get a lawyer and plead NOT guilty?

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting After Trying to Run Away from the Store

You should consult a lawyer about the availability of diversion programs or deferral under the policies of your local court and facts of your case and, based upon that discussion, see if there is a way to avoid a conviction or enter into a beneficial plea bargain.

1. Sponsored Links