Default Charged with Reckless Driving for Swerving

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New Jersey
    I was driving and a cop car had been following me for a minute or two. I then made a left turn and I was looking at my side mirror to see if the cop was still behind me and he was. I then looked up and noticed that I was going a little towards the left so I swerved to straighten the car back. He then pulled me over and I explained to him how I got nervous because he was behind me. He then said "you must have been doing something wrong if you were nervous" which is not true at all. A lot of people who aren't doing anything get nervous and mess up when a cop car is behind them. He then charged me with reckless driving. Also, I was not on a highway. I was on a local street and there were no people around and there were only parked cars. My 6 year old cousin was also in the car with me. My driving record is completely clean and I don't think it was fair that I was charged with reckless driving on my first offense and this adds 5 points to my license.

Default Re: Charged with Reckless Driving for Swerving

I suggest you plead not guilty and ask for a trial. That might get you an offer to reduce the citation to a lesser offense. If you aren't comfortable doing that on your own, hire a lawyer.

A conviction for reckless driving will have an extremely negative effect on your insurance rates.

Default Re: Charged with Reckless Driving for Swerving

This is usually charged in addition to excessive speeding or DUI. If it was as you described, it is ridiculous. Definitely plead not guilty and tell it like it was. I am sure you will at least be offered a lesser charge (careless driving, for example) by the prosecutor. It is your call whether to take it. I suggest you sit in on a few court sessions to observe how similar charges are treated by judges/magistrates.

1. Sponsored Links