Hybrid View

Default Minor Ticketed for Speeding in a School Zone

My question involves traffic court in the State of: Ohio

Hi guys I am new to this so i'm sorry if I do anything wrong. So, yesterday I got pulled over as I was parking in front of my school. Officer said I was speeding in a school zone which was like 5 minutes before he pulled me over, and to justify, it was a different school zone like a mile away and not where he pulled me over. which I knew where he was talking about because I passed him where he was sitting but 3 vehicles passed me at that spot so I did not think I was speeding. (my speedometer does not work). Well he pulled me over in front of my school i just took my seat belt of because I was late for school so once I was done dealing with the situation I could hurry in school. He tells me I wasn't wearing a seat belt so i just accepted it because i'm 17 and know I will not win against a state highway patrol. So I politely asked the officer if he seen the cars that were passing me when I passed and told him you know it was my fault if I was speeding you know but this is why I didnt think I was speeding so he would have a little understanding. He said no I didn't see any vehicles around you.

My principal came out and asked why he was pulling me over in front of the school and he replied I got caught up in traffic. Well he told me I was going 30 in a 25, then after 15 minutes of sitting there I called my mom so she came and he told her the same information. I sat in front of the school for 39 minutes and had all these kids recording me and laughing, it was really embarrassing and i'm not one to get embarrassed easily. the cop then got the vin number off my car and kept asking me if it was stolen, I have a BMW which i bought when i was 16 and I did body work and made it look nice. Finally he dispatched my plates and it all came back OK, but he charged me with no seat belt, he put 36 mph in a 20 on the ticket which I think he did that because I told him my speedometer did not work. Then he charged me with juvenile traffic offence.

so for my question, is there anything that can help me in court? The cop told my mom he would make sure my license were suspended until I was 21 and said he wanted to arrest me. Which he was not mad or rude until I told him I called my mom and she was on the way, because i'm the the brightest star in the sky and i did not want the cop to use my age and knowledge as an advantage.

Thanks guys in advance and I'm really sorry about the whole paragraph i just want to make sure everything was in detail because I am really honest and I do not want anyone making assumptions or anything.

Default Re: Minor Ticketed for Speeding in a School Zone

Quote Quoting jordanj
    View Post
    I knew where he was talking about because I passed him where he was sitting but 3 vehicles passed me at that spot so I did not think I was speeding. (my speedometer does not work).
    If you want to know you're not speeding instead of merely thinking that you're not speeding, obviously you need to fix your speedometer. Having a broken speedometer puts you in a terrible position when you go to court.
    Quote Quoting jordanj
    He tells me I wasn't wearing a seat belt so i just accepted it because i'm 17 and know I will not win against a state highway patrol.
    If he didn't ticket you for failing to wear a seat belt, it's a non-issue.
    Quote Quoting jordanj
    ...and told him you know it was my fault if I was speeding you know but this is why I didn't think I was speeding so he would have a little understanding. He said no I didn't see any vehicles around you.
    That doesn't matter, either.
    Quote Quoting jordanj
    Well he told me I was going 30 in a 25... he put 36 mph in a 20 on the ticket which I think he did that because I told him my speedometer did not work.
    If you take the ticket to hearing, you will be able to try to get the officer to admit that he told you that your speed was 30 MPH. I suspect he'll state that if you heard him say such a thing, it was because you misheard him. The court will evaluate your version of events along with the officer, and make its assessment of which version of events is more credible.

The speed limit in an active Ohio school zone is normally 20 MPH.
    Quote Quoting jordanj
    so for my question, is there anything that can help me in court?
    You can investigate the signage for the school zone to see if it meets the legal requirements. Odds are it does, but you don't have much else to work with.

If the place you allegedly were speeding was 5 minutes away from where you pulled over, you may not have been in the officer's view the whole time. At the trial you should get an opportunity to cross-examine him, and this is when you ask him that. If he says you were not in his view the whole time, ask him if he noted your license plate number when he first saw the vehicle, or after he pulled you over. If the latter, you can argue that he pulled over the wrong car. You don't argue this to the officer, though, you argue it to the judge.

I would suggest you sit in on a few traffic court sessions, just to see how things work, before your own day in court. And fix that speedometer. Good luck!

Quote Quoting thewiseone
    View Post
    If the place you allegedly were speeding was 5 minutes away from where you pulled over, you may not have been in the officer's view the whole time.
    Your best suggestion for him is that he chase that loser of an argument? Not that he's giving us much to work with, but....

1. Sponsored Links