Default Adult Dating a Minor Against Her Parent's Wishes

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio
    Ok so I'm a 16 year old girl and I'll be 17 in September. I've been talking to a guy but he will be turning 21 in May.
    We want to date but thought it would be better if we waited until I was 17. We aren't having sex or even thinking about it right now. I was just wondering if he or I could get into any legal trouble for just dating? I've been researching it but everyone seems to have something different to say. I also wanted to know if my parents could do anything besides get a restraining order against him?

Default Re: Is a 17 Year Old Dating a 21 Year Old Illegal and What Can My Parents Do

What do your parents say about you dating the guy?

yes, seriously. Regardless of whether the age is an issue or not (haven't checked so I don't know) if your parents have an issue with you dating thee guy could get into legal trouble. To start, if your parents get a restraining order and he violates it he could go to jail. There are usually other laws that come into play when an adult contributes to the delinquency of s minor or interfering with parental rights.

Default Re: Is a 17 Year Old Dating a 21 Year Old Illegal and What Can My Parents Do

I haven't talked to my parents yet I just wanted to know what leagal issues would be possible with the situation so when I do bring it up Im not completely clueless or ignorant to the situation.

Simply put: if your parents do not agree they could make your life quite miserable and if boyfriend does not leave their daughter alone there are enough laws in place they can make his life really miserable.

So, while I could list laws and penalties that could be involved, it is much simpler to abide by your parents rule here.

Once you are 18 and move out you can do anythng you want to with any guy you want.

As long as you are even one minute under the age of 18 your parents are GOD.

There are no laws you can invoke that will force them to allow their 16 (or even 17) year old daughter to date anyone of any age that they do not want you to date.

If they say no, it's no.

To add to the good advice you've already been given:

No matter how "sweet" this guy seems to you, he's a dirtbag who at best has maturity problems and at worst is a predator attracted to underage girls. I know that to you a four year age difference doesn't sound like a big deal. And at other ages, it isn't. But there is a world of difference between a 16/17 year old and a 20/21 year old. NORMAL, well adjusted males who are nearing 21 and about to graduate college want to hang out with girls who can go to bars and college parties, not girls who are still in high school.

You'd be wise to stay away from him.

Oh ddog, you've got it all backwards. The boy is mature and has only kids best interest at heart. The girl is mature beyond her years and fits in with bf's group. I bet she'll tell you that herself.

in fact, she'll probably tell you that her bf himself told her that.

1. Sponsored Links